Author Topic: Help! Angel baby to nightmare!  (Read 630 times)

Offline Liquorice

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 15, 2006, 14:34:58 pm »
How old is your child? - 5 months old
What’s his/her daily routine? - usually 4 hrly easy (ish) routine
What’s nap routine? - couple of naps per day am and pm
How long are naps? - anywhere between 20 mins and 2 hrs
What's bedtime routine? Time?  - bedtime is about 7.30
Do you bottle or breastfed??  BF in morning and then BF throughout the day
How much? or how long? 20 mins BF and 8oz bottles (but not taking it all at the moment)
If breastfed.. one side or both?? (at each feed) both sides (10 mins each side approx)
How many wakes per night? just started waking at 2, 4 and then up at 6
What’s your LO like when waking at night? How long is he/she up? Starts fretting and goes back off once dummy put back in
When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  fussing I think (not sure what Mantra cry is, sorry)
What have you tried to settle??  normally putting dummy back in and turning her over onto her back
What do you do for A time and how long is it?  playing, changing nappy, cuddling
Are there developmental issues such as teething or milestones?  Think she's teething and just been unwell with first cold and ear infection.  Also just had first holiday where bedtime was much later although she'd fall asleep in her buggy and seemed quite settled.  The illness seems to be the trigger here.
Have you introduced cereal? Why, how much, and how many times a day? (for LO’s under 6 months)  Just started on a little bit of pear and apple at 5 months
Do they have a prop? If so what is it? Dummy and muslin which she uses to cover her face and also knocks her dummy out with it
Do they have a lovie? Muslin

Hi, hope someone can help.  My little Angel has just started being a nightmare for sleep.  Her daytime naps are a bit sporadic but it's at nightime that she's most unsettled.  She takes ages to go off and I do pop up to put her dummy back in, otherwise she wakes herself up and cries loudly.  She doesn't seem able to settle herself and also seems to be very dependent on dummy but she will suck her fingers and thumb when not trying to get to sleep.  She's been so good up to now and it seems that holiday, followed by being unwell has really put her at a loss.  I can't say she's gone back to being fussy with sleep as she's always been so good and I'm about to start back at work so I would love to have her settled before another big change for her.  She's going off to nursery and has had a couple of trials and loved it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Licquorice
x

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
Re: Help! Angel baby to nightmare!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2006, 18:56:27 pm »
My goodness you have a lot going on! The first thing that I notice is that it sounds like the dummy has become a prop. Have you considered getting rid of it?

Also, the illness and holiday with routine change will definitely pose some issues with getting back on the normal track, as you're seeing. Stick with it and be consistent, and she will get it straightened out.

When you go to him/her is she fussing or crying? Or is it a mantra cry?  fussing I think (not sure what Mantra cry is, sorry)

A mantra cry is important to identify. It differs from a regular cry in that it's very rhythmic and on a discernable beat. It's LOs way of soothing and putting him/herself back to sleep. If that's what LO is doing, it's important to leave them be so that they develop those independent, self-soothing skills.
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o