Author Topic: Home Made VS Jars  (Read 985 times)

Offline andrea21

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 38
  • My 2 boys...
Home Made VS Jars
« on: September 02, 2006, 16:50:20 pm »
I have been given DS a mixture of home made and jar food but 90%of the time home made.

We are going to Aus in one month time and ds will be 9.5months.I am not sure weather I should just
use jar food while I am there.We will be there for 3months and Ds will be 12.5months when we return
to Spain so he will be having normal food soon.

I guess the thing is not sure about having to take everything from here to there to make the food?

Just wondering what you all think?

Thanks
Andrea...

Offline linfran

• Showing Appreciation 149
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 17:13:38 pm »
Guess it depends where you're staying - have you the utensils and the freezer storage or could you get them cheaply enough?

Offline ~tess~

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Re: Home Made VS Jars
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 17:37:41 pm »
well, if you are staying over 3 months i would consider making it there.  you may be able to get some good produce/fruit in season, so why not try it?  but perhaps plan to use some jars as well.  I would take advantage of local foods there to expose your child to....
~Tess~
DS, 13
DD, 12

Offline home alone

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 14:40:44 pm »
I agree with stacy.  Finger food will make it easier for you as well.  But, I would still leave my options open about jars though.  You might have your hands full in a new place with other stuff.
monica
http://lb1f.lilypie.com/15Anm5.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie First Birthday tickers" />[/url]

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2006, 16:04:52 pm »
I would take a few familiar jars, so that you know there is he will eat to start with.

Then as others have said it depends what is available, but if you going to be cooking for yourself there is no reason not to cook for DS. Is he OK with lumpier foods? You can mash either with a potato masher or a fork. I did buy a cheap mouli (food grinder) while away from home for 6 months but DD was not weaned until we were away, so she mostly started at 6 months on mashed foods, and now has chopped family meals i.e. I just use a knife and fork to cut it up.

I also recycled yoghurt pots as small tubs for freezing portions, and did get a good ice cube tray locally to start with.

If possible you could use the month remaining to move away from chopping/pureeing in a food processor (if that is what you mean) and move some way to finger/family foods. You'll have enough luggage with clothes, toys, cups etc already so take as little as possible. Oh, I did take my favourite baby/toddler recipe book though.

Have a great trip!

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007