Author Topic: how much is too much  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Ryan&HollysMom

• Claudia-German married to Canadian
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • halloween 2012
how much is too much
« on: September 29, 2006, 13:51:33 pm »
hi there. we started feeding rice cereal and now also oatmeal to our little guy. i read that i should start out with 1 tbsp of cereal, and i did, and he just kinda looked at me after like 20 seconds and it was all gone. i gave him a little more and slowly upped it further. he doesn't show any signs of being full after 4 1/2 tbsp of rice cereal (and that's in dry form!!!!!!) once it's mixed with formula it gets bigger and is probably more like 6 tbsp. is that normal? he just keeps opening his mouth.
i was planning on switching the evening rice cereal to veggies this weekend. for BF he still seems to be taking in the same amount. i guess i want to know, how much is too much if he doesn't show signs of being full, do i keep loading him up? does the cereal normally get measured before mixing or after?
and here's the thing: he's been eating 2 meals of cereal on top of 5 BFs and hasnt gained an ounce over the last 3 weeks!!! he's stalled at 15 lb.
Claudia-German married to Canadian

and our angel, 10 weeks, 11/19/08

Offline summersusu

• Showing Appreciation 13
Re: how much is too much
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 17:58:04 pm »
Yeah, I never really saw signs of fullness and still don't.  Sometimes I feed him too much because he keeps on eating until he will get the hiccups.  So I just feed about 4 to 6 oz of solids.
I don't know if it is right or not.

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 21:58:44 pm »
My DD was the same,as long as it doesn't inteferre with his BF then that is fine. You will probably find that when you introduce another meal and veges and fruit the quanties at each feed will decrease a little.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Anna & Baby Caleb's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Aren't I cute?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 14:22:31 pm »
he just keeps opening his mouth.

SO CUTE!

i was planning on switching the evening rice cereal to veggies this weekend.
are you sure you want to introduce veggies in the evening meal?  might make his tummy work hard b4 bed??? just a thought...i'm on here reading what others are doing with solids...i have ten year old and things were different 10 years ago...now i have 4 mo. old lo... :)

Offline Ryan&HollysMom

• Claudia-German married to Canadian
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • halloween 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 13:16:51 pm »
hey, thanks for the feedback.
ryan still doesn't show any signs of being full. i just feed him now til I think he's had enough, or should have had enough. yesterday we fed him his first sweet potato, there wasn't even any funny face or tongue coming out. he went "mmmhhh, mmmmhhhh!" as he had the first spoonful in and opened his mouth really wide again right away. fed him all i had ready, then gave some cereal, then BF an hour later. i guess he's just quite the champ when it comes to eating (well, he's ALWAYS MY CHAMP! ;)). didn't notice any tummy issues btw, he slept soundly.
anyway, i guess i better get used to the fact that he'll eat us out of house and home.
claudia
Claudia-German married to Canadian

and our angel, 10 weeks, 11/19/08

Offline Anna & Baby Caleb's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Aren't I cute?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 17:35:23 pm »
awesome! you're so lucky to have such a good eater...i'm not sure what to do with my lo...he only drinks 3.5-4 oz. every three hours (he will not go longer, acts like he's starving and then after 3 or so ounces he refuses the rest)...i might post in bottle forum :-\  our baby is 14.5 lb.s and was bf and ff until this weekend.  we are finally thru weaning him...maybe he's adjusting...though he was never a big guzzler on the bottle :(