Author Topic: Help! What has happened to my 8mo old?  (Read 1052 times)

Offline cliffrose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 22, 2005, 02:10:47 am »
In the last month, my then 7-month old, now eight month old has gone from sleeping through the night and two 1.5 hour naps daily to one hour-10 minute nap in the morning, MAYBE 45 minutes in the afternoon, and waking generally once at night- never the same time. Last night at 11PM and then 5:30 AM, tonite already 8:15 PM (45 minutes after i put him down). he wakes crying this heart-rending, pitiful, deep cry- i'd never heard it until the last month. sometimes he will take alot of milk, sometimes the only thing that will stop his crying is a binky....

I am having trouble getting him to drink enough during the day, I know, because he just wants to move around all the time. he already eats three meals a day., in addition to formula.

PLEASE anyone- have i inadvertently screwed up? can anyone relate? will i ever have a quiet evening/night again?

thank you so much in advance- if i haven't given enough information, please let me know- i will be so happy for any ideas.

elizabeth

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Help! What has happened to my 8mo old?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:45:06 pm »
sounds like separation anxiety to me - the tipoff was the wailing, pitiful cry.

what helped us was to help ds learn object permanance.  during the day, lots of peekaboo (with people or toys!), and i would tell him i was going somewhere, and then come back, etc.

at sleep times, it sounds like he's wanting reassurance that you're still there - hence that heart-wrenching cry.  what i found that worked the best was to calm him down completely in his crib (pat/shh still works for us), and then walk away.  when (not if) he started crying, i'd go back & repeat as often as necessary. 

eventually, (usually) he'd go back to sleep for his nap. 

really, we just had to ride it iout.  at almost 11 months, it occasionally pops up again, but he's in much better shape now.

good luck & HTH   :D

ps - re the bottles, you might want to check the bottle forum, but i know some moms have better luck with doing bottles right after they wake up, & in their room, where it's still a little dark & not very distracting
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline cliffrose

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 13:48:23 pm »
thank you so much. that makes sense.

elizabeth