Author Topic: STTN and Milk supply  (Read 1021 times)

Offline ellen109

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
STTN and Milk supply
« on: March 13, 2012, 13:06:35 pm »
My EBF 4hr EASY LO recently started STTN at 6 months. I have typically single side fed him as he generally never refuses and will feed until he eventually spits up.  And then eat more.  We've stopped solids for the moment after a week of rice cereal upset his tummy.

His last feed at night is at 7pm then he eats again at 6:30am.  I am very engorged at this time and have been pumping the side that isn't fed in the morning, but am curious if this is necessary or if my body will adjust the supply.

Also, will going this long between feeds affect supply?  I want to keep breastfeeding until about a year old, so I don't want to lost the supply, but I'm also not in love with the idea of pumping in the middle of the night.

Would love to hear any advice on how to handle it.

Thanks!

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 250
Re: STTN and Milk supply
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 13:13:48 pm »
My guy has been STTN for ages and my supply has never been affected. Probably in the middle of the night if he has a rare feed there;s not much there for him- but inn the day no probs.
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!

Offline ellen109

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 17:58:43 pm »
thanks amayzie!  do you single side feed?  also, how long does it take for the engorgement in the morning to wear off?

oh and if there is a rare feed?  does it start a habit of NW for feeds again?  I'm nervous about ever feeding him for fear that he'll get into the old habit.  he has only been missing the feed for about a week but i'm sure at some point he'll wake up hungry in the middle of the night.

Offline Fiver

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Anyone for omelette?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 20:06:12 pm »
Your body should adjust in time (I can't give you an exact number of days as each body is different) and supply should be ok too.  If you're uncomfortable in the morning and don't want to do a full pump of your engorged breast, you could always just hand express until you feel more comfy.  That way your body will not be getting a signal then that more milk is required.
*** Amanda ***

Offline amayzie

• Pinterest Ninja
  • Showing Appreciation 250
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 20:46:50 pm »
For us an odd night feed has never led to habitual waking. We have been lucky in that. I guess too that i've considered that if it does start to become a habit (i always watch to see) then i have the tools to get rid of it (sounds easy- hey ::) ). Also i have been 2 sided feeding since a couple of months in- but recently learned that heaps of people single side feed right the way along! Your body just works out what to do!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 20:48:36 pm by amayzie »
Katy, Mummy to Hamish!