Author Topic: EAEaS? What do you think?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline shannoncorrin

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: February 26, 2014, 22:24:05 pm »
Hello,

Little guy is 19 weeks old.  He was EBF up until his 4 MO apt last week when I started supplementing with formula.  He had only gained 1lb 1 Oz in 2 mo.  He weighed 8lb 2 Oz a birth and only weighs 12lb 5 Oz now. This is even a low percentile on the WHO chart. Pedi said that I didn't have to increase the number of feeds per day, just the Oz to 6oz. When he got bottles of BM he was taking 4.5 Oz because that is what the lactation dept at our hospital told me, and he was always happy after.  I didn't figure he was still hungry.  He is a super laid back happy little guy who barely cries.  He has been STTN since 9 weeks, but only takes 30 min naps.  This is our current schedule

7.30 eat, play
9.15 sleep- typically 30-50 min, occasionally 1.5 hours

11.00 eat (+2oz formula), play
12:45 sleep- 30 min

2.30- eat(+2oz of formula), play
4.15- sleep- 30 min

6.00- eat(+2oz of formula, play
7.30-eat(+2oz formula)
8.00- bed

10.00- DF

When he wakes after 30 min, he doesn't cry.  After about 15 min of laying quietly or cooing in his crib, he starts to fuss, so I usually rock him and get him to fall back to sleep for a little bit again.  I'm starting to question whether this early waking is because of hunger.  Today I started to feed him before he was going to go down for a nap.  I'm thinking of starting this schedule:

7.30 eat, play
8.00 eat, read
8.30 nap

11.30 eat (+2oz formula), play
1.00 eat, read
1.30 nap

3.30 eat (+2oz formula), play
5.00 eat, read
5.30 nap

6.30 eat (+2oz formula, play
8.00 eat
8.00 bed

10.00 DF

So the first feed of the cycle is a big feed, but the second feed is just a little snack to keep his belly full for his nap.  Do you think this is too much food? 

Shoot, he just woke up after 30 min again!  I was hoping this was going to work!

I've noticed it takes him 30-40min instead of 5-10 min to fall asleep.  And forget falling asleep in crib, I have to rock him completely to sleep.  I think my A time is a little too much, but he is happy the whole time. 

Offline Violet's mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 26
Re: EAEaS? What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 02:00:44 am »
Hi there!  Glad the little guy is still happy on 30 min naps!  If he is STTN maybe he is a catnapper - but you might want to try to get some longer naps if possible.

This might help you figure out if he has good A times Average A times- BOOKMARK ME!!

Right away I notice the rocking to sleep part of it - he probably gets rocked to sleep and does the typical stirring/slightly waking around 30-40 minutes and notices mom is gone out of nowhere!  You might want to try shh/pat if you haven't.

Maybe some of the other ladies have some more advice for you too!

**Tracy**

Offline shannoncorrin

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 03:16:40 am »
Well, let me tell ya, we have tried to not rock him to sleep since day one.  But it usually doesn't work! Whether I lay him down drowsy but awake or just completely awake he usually get HUGE eyes and cranks his neck so he can stare at the mobile.  I try to face him away and do shh pat, but he contorts himself so he can see it!  Once his eyes are locked on it,  there is no sleeping!  I don't want to get rid of it bc it does provide him with some entertainment when he wakes early even though it's not moving.  But even on the rare occasion that he does fall asleep in the crib he still wakes after 30 min. 

Do you think the above schedule is too much snacking?

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 21:13:02 pm »
I'm the wrong person to ask about snacking!  My dd is the ultimate snacker - she even wouldn't STTN until I went back to bf'ing every 2.5 to 3 hrs!  She is still like that with solid foods.  I hear you about the mobile!  Don't know what to do in that case...

**Tracy**

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 21:20:47 pm »
Has he ever been an independent sleeper or has he always short napped or needed to be held or rocked for sleep?

I would try a regular A time through the day, 2hrs to 2hrs 30, with E every 4 hrs and see how it settles.  It takes a few days to settle into a routine so you won't necessarily have results straight away. I personally would go for the regular routine rather than topping up on milk before every nap as that could cause some feeding issues where he doesn't take a full feed.

Do you think he would like to use the mobile for his 'seven mile stare'? That's where LOs just stare and stare until their eyes begin to nod and then they drift off to sleep. I just wonder if he could learn to self settle gazing at it whilst you shush/pat.  If not then I'd remove it until he is asleep then pop it back in when he is sleep ready for WU if that's possible?

What do you think?

Offline shannoncorrin

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 02:46:58 am »
Interesting about the 7 mile stare, Ive never heard of that!  I usually give up after 5 min because he seems so awake, but I may try to leave him there a little longer and see what happens.

I have tried modifying wake times and the whole 9 yards!  I have given up hope! Today he did pretty well with the topping off according to my sitter, and he took a full feeding for the big feeds, so I'll keep tabs on that. If he stops taking the full feeding, I will put the kabash on it for sure. 

Offline creations

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 09:02:54 am »
Have you read any of the baby whisperer books? Tracy describes the seven miles stare in there, as part of the process of falling to sleep. I found it spot on accurate for my little boy.

Offline shannoncorrin

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 19:59:36 pm »
I have read most of the 3rd book.  Haven't had time to read the rest!  Must have missed that part!

Offline creations

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 21:50:38 pm »
I think in the third book it is not so detailed and called 'the zone'.  I found an old post with brief info on:
windows of sleep