Author Topic: Question about 21 week old schedule  (Read 6266 times)

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2013, 01:52:23 am »
I thought he needed a longer A time before bed because he takes 20-30 min to fall asleep if its not 2:15.  Otherwise it's 5 min. 

He was sick last night.  Cold/cough.  First one. :( he was up ecery two hours starting at 11. My first was not sick until 18 months and sleep habits were well established so I never worried about rocking him to sleep or laying next to him in his room when sick.  At this age how to you AP parent a sick baby without creating a bad habit?  When he had his 4 month growth spurt he kept waking in the night even though he didn't need to feed so I gave him pacifier.  It took only 3 days for him to become addicted looking for it every two hours so I know he picks up bad habits easily. 

So today he woke at 7!  I put him down at 9 and he slept till 10:45.  It took him about 10 min to really fall asleep tho because of congestion.  Then I put him down for his second nap at 1245.  Only slept 48 min so I think this A time definitely should increase.   He then had a catnap right before bed. 

He gets expressed milk so I can see what he gets.  It's about 32-34 ounces a day.  I can also tell he doesn't need dreamfeed.  He's only taking an ounce now and if I give him more he doesn't have a full feed at first feeding at 7.

So I will try first A time of 2 hrs putting him down 5 min before since he falls asleep fairly quickly. The second A I will try and push.  Maybe 2:05 or 2:10 min?

Thanks so much!!!!

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2013, 01:57:02 am »
Oh and I could not extend that second nap.  I tried and usually I have good luck.  Which prob means def undertired right?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
Re: Question about 21 week old schedule
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 07:23:01 am »
If he's sick then his sleep will be off for a while and it will be hard to tell OT from UT. I do think he may need another little push in A time when better though yes.

I would try to go to him rather than bring him to you or rock him if you can. So sit by the cot and rub his back or something. But puck him up if he needs it. You can always wean it again when he is better. I hope he feels better soon.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2013, 13:54:56 pm »
Oddly enough since he's been sick his schedule has shifted later. 

We are back to 30 min naps still.  I think I might know why though. He's been waking at 5:30 or so.  Not hungry.  I've been sshing him back to sleep.  But before I do that ive been giving him time to resettle since hes not crying. Sometimes it takes a good 20 min on and off though.  He then sleeps till 7 when I wake him.

I think this time awake so close to his waketime is causing him to be too tired for a first nap at 9?

How would you handle.  I can't believe we are back to 30 min naps again. :(

I was putting him down about 8:50 and getting a good nap from that.

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 15:44:20 pm »
So now I'm confused.  After waking at 530 then sshd at 6.  He woke at 7.  I put him down at 9. He woke 30 min in. He wasn't crying. He was making the sounds he makes when he's trying to fall asleep.  I left him since he wasn't crying. My sitter ended up last minute cancelling so I had to grab him around 10 and go. He did not fall back asleep in the car. Nor did he fall asleep on the way back. We got home around 11:05.  I quickly fed him and saw he was getting sleepy around 11:15.  I ended up putting him down at 11:23.  He fell asleep in a min.

So my confusion is is he under or overtired during his first nap?  I had been putting him down at 8:50 before trying to push this time and he's been taking 30 min naps since.  I can usually extend but don't always have time because I also have a 3 1/2 year old. This is day 3 with the new time. 

What do you suggest?  I'm lost at what to do.

He just turned 5 months this weekend.

Thx!!

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2013, 16:01:28 pm »
And the 11:23 nap another wakeup at 30 min in!  He woke not crying.  Same noises trying to go back to sleep.  OT'd? 

I'm hoping to try something different tomorrow. Any thoughts?

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2013, 19:16:03 pm »
It could be the sickness. It is hard to tell when they are ill as not only do they often need more sleep but the symptoms of the cough and cold often disturb sleep. He would almost certainly have been OT for the 11.23 nap as he'd done a full A time after the short first nap.

If you think he is needing more sleep while ill maybe put off the A time extension until he is better. Otherwise I would stick with it and resettle when you can. It won't be long before his body adjusts to the longer A times and hopefully he will start transition past the 30 min point by himself.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 21:06:13 pm by *Ali* »

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2013, 19:31:49 pm »
I agree.

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2013, 21:12:04 pm »
Thank you!  Looking at my sleep notes can a dairy intollerance cause nap issues?  Last time he did short napping was when I experimented with formula.

In the meantime ill push back and put him down a little earlier tomorrow for his first nap. Maybe 10 min less?

What waketime do you suggest after a 30 min nap?

I had to AP parent to make up napping time since it was 3:00 when I put him down for third nap.  He woke 30 min again so I put in swing to catch up. :(

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2013, 21:28:19 pm »
I wouldn't worry about APing too much when he is sick. Just do what he needs for now.

After a 30 min nap I would cut around 30mins off his usual A time but watch his cues to see when he is sleepy again.

Yes intolerances can cause sleep disturbances if he is in discomfort. Check out this link if you think he may have an intolerance. Does my LO have food intolerances?

Bottles can also cause gas so be sure to get as many burps as possible up.

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2013, 23:50:46 pm »
I think it might be it. :(

Will try a shorter waketime in the morning though just to test that theory.  How short do you think is good to test so I can know if that's it?  I used to go by his cues but he doesn't give them until we start out naptime routine!

If that works and I get a good first nap ill try stretching A time then.

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 13:40:43 pm »
So I put him down 1:45 min after waking instead of 2 hrs just to test. No 30 min waking but nap was 1:20.  Im guessing he's somewhere in btwn? Oh and he falls asleep about 3 min after being put down.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 13:59:11 pm »
An HR 29 likely to be ut slightly. Good luck with the next nap.

Offline destina23

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 18:01:10 pm »
Thx!  Just realized from my husband first nap was only 1:10 min.  I heard him 10 min later cooing.  So 1:45 (in crib, not eyes shut) is too little and 2 hrs is too much.  Ill push 5 more min tomorrow.

Second nap we did 2:10 (in crib, not eyes closed) he was def a bit OT had to help ssh a min and we woke 30 in but put himself back to sleep with 10 min.  That nap was 1:40. So that waketime seems ok?

No idea for nap 3.  Thinking same time as 2. :)

Offline *Ali*

• Forum Moderator
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 19:28:14 pm »
Maybe put him down around 1hr55 and see if that helps you to not miss his window.