Author Topic: 2-week old getting started on EASY  (Read 783 times)

Offline Lyna

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 27, 2013, 19:31:46 pm »
Hi everyone,

Our second DD arrived two weeks ago. We went through ST through EASY with her old sister at 3 months and told ourselves we were absolutely doing the same thing for the next one. The first one was jaundiced and had trouble latching so we had a bumpy start which lead us to very strict schedules. The second one has been a breeze from that point of view so we have been relaxed enjoying the ride. We want to start early but unfortunately we are too aware of AP and we are conscious that we have now introduced a number or props (being held in arms and sleeping on the breast). We are not sure how to get her started now! TBH I am also struggling with recognizing the cry. I know getting her started on EASY will help but then again it is the dog that bites its own tail. I read the *EASY for newborns" thread and I have a very specific question. Is it ok at two weeks to let our DD go for a stretch of sleep as long as she wants or should we still be waking her up every 3 hours?

Thanks!

Offline LovelyLilyandJack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Formerly lovelylily
Re: 2-week old getting started on EASY
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 08:03:31 am »
Congratulations on your DD! I don't know the "right" answer to your question but we've been slowly introducing our 7 week old to EASY over the last few weeks and we've been waking him every 3 hours to feed in the day to feed and not waking him at night.  I've been hoping that doing that will help him move his long stretch to nighttime.  It mostly works!  ;)

I was also painfully aware of all the props we were using in the first few weeks.  It stressed me a bit cos it went against every parenting grain in my body!  I told myself not to worry about it til he was 8 weeks old cos the 6-8 week growth spurt is a killer!  Now we're almost there and I'm trying to get a nap on the moses basket once a day most days but i actually don't want to do more yet! The last 2 months have gone too quickly and I'm enjoying the fact I can AP without serious fallout

Good luck and enjoy your lo x

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 22:31:49 pm »
At night at this age I wouldn't wake at all unless your dr has suggested otherwise for medical reasons such as jaundice or slow weight gain for example.

During the day I would wake her to fit in 3hrly feeds. This will help establish your supply and also mean she gets her calories during the day and not need more feeds than necessary during the night. If she wakes herself at night though then I would definitely just feed as most babies will require 3hrly feeds at this age around the clock.

This FAQ has more detailed info on the subject Breastfeeding and EASY in the first few weeks
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Lyna

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 12:55:52 pm »
Thank you both!

I did read the EASY FAQ. the feeding every three hours makes perfect sense for now and let her go for longer stretches at night. After discussing with DH we have decided to limit to that in terms of ST for the time being.

Lyn

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 14:25:04 pm »
Enjoy!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011