Author Topic: 5 week old: Start as you mean to go on?  (Read 920 times)

Offline emmamw06

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
5 week old: Start as you mean to go on?
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:53:14 am »
I am realising that I am expecting too much of my 5 week old to independently sleep in her cot all the time for her day naps, attempting to do so is killing us both and I've read in the forums that up to three months she will be happier sleeping in a sling, pram etc. I'm confused though - doesn't Tracy say 'start as you mean to go on'?. If I let my daughter sleep in my arms for her day sleeps for the next few months aren't I setting us both up for sleep problems post-12 weeks?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5 week old: Start as you mean to go on?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 08:12:51 am »
Tracy did recommend baby sleep in her own cot at home but many of us here have arranged naps to fit in with family life. The EASY routine can still be followed if you choose to do some naps in a stroller or sling which still helps you to know what comes next in the routine without being tied to the house all day.  Many people don't find BW until baby is older so there are lots of people with experience of sleep training or moving towards the EASY routine with an older baby who will be able to support you when you feel the time is right.
I started EASY with mine at 4-5 wks old, I only had one baby and was able to put a lot of time into helping him to learn to sleep independently. By around 8 wks he was going to sleep independently and by 10 wks he had decided he wanted all naps in his night bed in the bedroom rather than where I had planned for him to nap, in the travel cot in the family room where I could keep an eye on him.  He was almost impossible to get to sleep in a sling or stroller which I found very difficult as time went on.  I did manage to get us into a routine of one long nap at home in his bed (independent sleeping) with the next nap in the car on our way out and about, and the third nap in the car on the way back home.  The car naps gave us more freedom to get out but where still quite prohibitive, if I didn't get him in the car in time for his nap he would be very upset which meant we could only have the length of his A time in the park or at mum and baby group etc. I often had to leave things early to coincide with his nap in the car - whilst this was respectful of my baby's needs it did mean I was tied to the car, it would have been so much easier if he would have napped in a pram.

At whatever age you decide to sleep train there is going to be some time and effort needed, whether that is now or in 3 months or 6 months.  Every age has its limitations and added confusions. A 5 wk old can only stay awake a very short time which might tie you to the house if you want all sleeps in her cot, being unable to get out and about may have a effect on your emotional and physical health and well being; waiting until 3 months old risks running into the 4 month sleep regression (ours happened at 3.5 months so if you began sleep training at 3 months you could see a great disturbance only 2 wks in which can add confusion to the times of naps and soothing methods); waiting until 6 months old runs into the introduction of solids and teething which is another variable added to the mix...what I'm saying is there is probably no 'perfect' time and no 'perfect' routine but even so BW is a wonderfully respectful parenting approach and the EASY routine really does help you know how to respond to your child.

I may have given you more confusion than answers but it's really a personal choice.

Offline emmamw06

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 06:15:47 am »
Thanks for the advice. I will aim to start sleep training around 8 weeks. Can you point me in the right direction for tips on how to do this? How long should it take with a textbook baby?

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:00:08 am »
There are some useful FAQs here
Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!
It's a gradual process when they are so little.