Author Topic: 30 min. naps  (Read 925 times)

Offline shimmer

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
30 min. naps
« on: April 01, 2006, 03:05:40 am »
So.... my baby was extremely colicky until about 2 weeks ago after visiting a chiropractor.  However - she has a terrible catnapping problem.  I really don't have a hard time getting her to fall asleep in her crib initially, although she tends to fuss quite a bit through the nap routine.  Her nights suffer as well, but I think fixing her naps would maybe help.

8AM - Wake/BF
9:30-9:45 Nap 1
(She naps for half an hour and I've begun trying pat/sh until 11:00)
11:00 Wake/BF
12:45 Nap 2
(Again, she's stuck at 30 min. - I used to give her 5 naps a day, just so she wouldn't get overtired)
2:15 Wake/BF
4:00 Nap 3
(Again, trying pat/sh, but worried it won't work)
5:30 Wake/BF
8:00 Bedtime

Her nights are pretty bad with wakings and I think the naps would help.  Any advice on the best way to handle her naps?  I began pat/sh today, but it was successful only during nap #2, and even then there was a half hour of restlessness in between 2 half hour naps.  Will those eventually consolidate?  By the way, she's almost 4 mos.

Offline leahbeth

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • My Spirited Emma
Re: 30 min. naps
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 16:38:27 pm »
Hi there!

I'm currently going through the same struggle with my lo. She is 4 1/2 months but was 3 weeks early and was colicky for the first three months, I totally empathize!!!. I've recently tried two things that "seem" to be working. I'm in the process of transitioning her to a four hour schedule between feedings. I'm using the 16 day guide in Tracy's new book. This is to slowly increase the A time so that she is a little more tired to sleep past 30 min. Secondly, I've been using wake to sleep. I go in at 25 min., stroke her cheek until she stirs. This is supposed to pull her out of her sleep cycle and start a new one. I do this every 25 minutes. I sometimes have to shh/pat her once or twice but not for long. It worked for her naps yesterday and it  is currently working right now as she is closing in on her 1 1/2 nap. This NEVER happened before.
I'm by far not an expert, all these ideas I got right here on the website and am giving them a try!
Good luck! ;D