Author Topic: 4 month old and small eater, need ideas/optons to increase feeds  (Read 2403 times)

Offline LauraTH

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
My lo problem is that she is a very small eater. She will only take approx. 130mls (4 oz) a feed. I have tried different bottles,  cool formula, warm formula and it doesn't seem to make a difference. She is on Enfamil A+. I tried new formulas when she was younger because she seemed to suffer from gas quite a bit. (breast fed for 8 weeks then moved to formula)I am willing to try it again but am not sure what formula to try.

I was reading Tracey's sleep interview and came upon her thoughts on having to increase the feeds during the day to make up for the feeds taken away at night. She suggests trying to feed lo's the following hour after their initial feed. Now I have tried that as well and usually she still refuses the bottle but can I try the hour after that or is it getting to close to the next feed. so for example; I fed her at 8:00am tried again at 9:00 but she refused. Should I try again at 10:00 even thought her next official feed is at 12:00? and how many days do i do this without it becoming a habit for her and she becomes more of a snacker?

I am trying to work out some sleeping issues but believe I have to tackle this first so any ideas or thoughts would be truly helpful.

Thanks for taking the time to read:)
LauraTH

Offline Cohensmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cohen
Re: 4 month old and small eater, need ideas/optons to increase feeds
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 15:39:44 pm »
Hi there,
Just wondering how many ounces of formula a day is she eating?  How many times a night is she waking to feed; and how many ounces is she eating when she wakes?  Are you dream feeding her around 10:00pm?  Have you tried switching her from 3 to 4 hour EASY plan to see if she'll eat more?

My son is just over 3 months old and the past week we were having some eating problems too.  I've just recently started formula feeding and he'll only eat approx. 3-4 ounces a feeding, unless he is really hungry and will eat about 5-6, but that is not typical.  I just recently started dream feeding him around 10:00 which I think has been really helping getting him to not eat in the middle of the night.  When he does wake, he'll only get a soother.  I am hoping soon, he'll just stop waking.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

My personal experience with feeding Cohen an hour or 2 hours after he's eaten did make things way worse.  He would eat maybe an ounce an hour later, but then at his usual feeding, he would eat an ounce less.  It made things so confusing and stressful cause I never knew when he was hungry cause I kept feeding him all day long.  I did this for a couple days and I think we were both frustrated and unhappy.  :(

My advice would be to maybe extend her feedings a little longer.  Maybe every 3.5 to 4 hours and see if that works, and then do a dream feed, so when she does wake in the night, you won't need to feed her.

Hope this helps.  Michelle   :)

Offline LauraTH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 18:19:50 pm »
Thanks for replying Michelle:)
To answer your questions:

During 24 hours she eats 26-29 ounces ( usually closer to 26) She wakes 2 times to feed and eats about 4 ounces each feed. I would love to try the dream feed but she never wakes up at the same time at night. it can be anywhere between 9:30 and 11:30. I have to read more about that. She is right now on the 3.5 to 4 hour EASY because, as you thought, I was hoping it would help the feeds.

Thanks for letting me know how it went with your lo on the every hour feed. I was afraid of that happening.

Have you tried different nipples or formulas for your son? I know with Sara she was very picky about the bottle we used. How long have you been using formula? Do you think he is still getting used to the change??

thanks again for your information and good luck with Cohen. If I get any answers I will let you know:)

Offline Cohensmom

• Showing Appreciation 4
  • Cohen
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 20:22:32 pm »
Hi,
To dreamfeed your lo, you don't wake her up.  You just pick her up asleep and start feeding her.  You don't even have to burp her either since they usually don't take in much air cause they are so relaxed.  I've decided to dream feed around 10pm cause I don't like to stay up later than that and then I will know when he wakes in the night I don't have to feed him.  Cohen is probably around 15-16 pounds already, so he is able to go about 7-8 hours without a feed. 

What times at night approx. does she feed?  How long does she go at night time between feeds?  I bet if you dream fed, then she wouldn't need the first middle of the night feed, but she may be used to it that she may fuss lots when you don't feed her and this might take a couple of nights.

Cohen's always had eating problems it seems.  He's screams lots, so that is a reason why I decided to wean to formula.  He still screams sometimes though, so I am not sure what is wrong with him.  I've tried many different bottles and nipples and I think we've found a couple that work good.  I think he sometimes is really picky about when he eats cause I can try to feed him and he'll start eating and then start screaming and not wanted to eat, so I stop and try again in about 15 minutes and he'll drink all content.  I've brought him to the doctors to ask about relux and they say he doesn't have it.  I haven't tried different formula though (currently using Good Start), but am planning on taking him to the doctors this week again and see if I can get some answers.

Welll, Good Luck with your lo.

Offline Tatumsmom

• Kim~ mommy to Tatum and Logan
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 21:32:08 pm »
Hi Laura,
I went through the same problem/s with my dd. She is 6 months and has just started eating about 6-7 oz at a feed. For the longest time she would only eat 3-4 oz at a time. I tried everthing to get her to take more at a feeding, different nipples,bottle you name it I tried it. I honestly think there is nothing you can do to make her eat more at a time(believe me I tried) I was looking at some information I got from the hospital and it says at 4 months their tummys are still only the size of a tablespoon.  I to tried feeding every hour and dreamfeeding. They both didn't work for me I just created a snaking monster ::) I would still try the dreamfeed for a few nights and see if that helps. As for the feedings if the middle of the night,  there is a post about stopping nightfeeds(I think it is on the night waking board). It's called how I stopped night feeds at 9 months. It  suggest diluting the night feeds so in theory they are still getting the same amount of liquid but not all the calories. This should make her eat more during the day, and cut out the nightfeeds.
We are on day two of this plan and last night my dd only woke once to eat. Hope it helps.
KH

Offline Tatumsmom

• Kim~ mommy to Tatum and Logan
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 55
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 01:46:51 am »
Hi Laura ,
The post I was referring to is located on the night waking board it's title is How we stopped night wakings with a 9 month old. It's by Leah's momand  it is  the third one down from the top. I tried to past the direct link but it doesn't seem to work. Anyway read it over and maybe the suggestions will work for you.  I figure it's worth a shot considering I've tried everything else. Good luck :)
KH

Offline LauraTH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 18:14:10 pm »
Hello :)

Thanks for your great reply's. I am really enjoying this form of communicating. It has been so helpful!

Thanks for the ideas of Dreamfeeding and the "stopped night waking at nine months"  recommendation. I will read that next. I have to agree with you KH, that there probably isn't a lot that can be done. I am actually going to talk to a nutritionist today to see if she has any suggestions and I will let you know if she does. I am happy to hear though that your daughter has finally started to take more. Is your daughter small in size by chance? my lo is 13 pounds approx. and compared to my first daughter who was 18 pounds by this age
(she was also in the 100 percentile and is still very tall for her age) I'm not used to this. Let me know how it goes with the diluting the formula. I will be interested to see if she begins to take more during the day.

Michelle, have you had him checked for reflux? It sounds odd to me that he is screaming during a feed. and reflux can be shown in discomfort rather then spitting up. Does he cough after feeds? does he arch his back when put down after feeds? You might want to check that or try formulas that help with reflux to see if it makes a difference. That must be frustrating.
Thanks for your explanation on dreamfeeds. Now do you sit down during the feed or just stand holding him beside the crib. could you actually not pick up the lo and feed them in the crib??? I am afraid that by picking her up she will wake as she is a fairly light sleeper.

anyway, thanks again for your great comments!
Laura

Offline lisamichel

• Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 20:53:28 pm »
I am having the same problem with my daughter.   She is now 6 months old and occasionally she will take 5 oz but she usually does 3-4 each feed.   She does however sleep through the night - usually about 10 - 10 1/2 hours and she is only eating on an average of 18-24 ounces of formula a day!  She does get solid food but even that some days she just wont eat it.    But she is gaining weight just fine and the doctors told me dont worry about it,  she is obviously getting what she needs.   She looks great and healthy and maybe thats just what her body needs.     I have also tried eveything to get her to eat more during the day but nothing has worked,  but she isn't waking up at night though.    Hope this helps.    Lisa

Offline LauraTH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 00:42:47 am »
Thanks Michelle

At least I now realize it is not just my lo and I am now going to relax a bit knowing that she will increase when she is ready. When did your daughter start sleeping through? Was it just recently??? How is she with her solids. Do you think she likes it??? When did you start feeding her solids?

thanks for your responce:)
Laura

Offline LauraTH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 00:44:29 am »
Sorry Lisa, I put Michelle by mistake :)

thanks again!

Offline carlag

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2006, 07:13:30 am »
My baby is now 5 months. I struggled to feed him for the first 4 months. He screamed after 5 minutes of breastfeeding so after 2 months of perservering,  I switched to expressed milk with a teat with a large hole. This seemed to help but he would never take more than 120ml and that took for ever for him to drink. He would also sweat whilst feeding.  He was putting on weight very slowly. My pediatrician thought it was silent reflux and gave me various things to try. I also saw various other health professionals who said his digestive system was immature, or he had wind etc.  Tried ALLl the drugs and remedies and nothing worked so I just resigned myself to the fact that I had a skinny baby. He seemed quite settled and content generally.

Last month he was diagnosed with a heart condition that required immediate open heart surgery.  He's recovering well and  feeding much better now. Sorry, I dont mean to be a scaremonger, but if your baby is not putting on weight and shows other symptoms i.e sweating, slow feeding etc  get his heart and lungs checked out by your pediatrician. If they cant help you, try another pediatrician.

Offline LauraTH

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 17:49:31 pm »
Thanks for your reply.
How scary for you to have to go through that I hope that you little one is doing well! Isn't it crazy how we have to fight the health care system to get them to consider issues with our children!?! I am actually taking my lo to the doctors to see about reflux issues and to ask about a cough that she has had since birth, that no one seems to think is anything but I want it looked into more closely. I'm hope that it is nothing but I'm going to make sure that I have checked everything else first.
I appreciate your reply :)

All the best with your lo!
Laura