Author Topic: Moving DS from Family Bed to Crib - 11 weeks  (Read 1189 times)

Offline lilbradi

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • My bright eyed little man!
Moving DS from Family Bed to Crib - 11 weeks
« on: February 08, 2006, 16:13:08 pm »
Hello,

I'm 4 days into my book with a plan to start E.A.S.Y this weekend.  (With Daddy's help!)  My 11 week old currently sleeps with us in our bed and has since birth.  I want to move him in to his own bed but want to make sure I do it right.  Do I do the 'pillow' method right away or only if he seems to have a problem with his crib?  I'm a bit confused by the book on this specific subject.

Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks much!

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
Re: Moving DS from Family Bed to Crib - 11 weeks
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 16:25:29 pm »
We moved my dd from our bed at 4 months.  She seemed to ready for her own space but the first couple of days were pretty hard.  Because your little one is under 4 months, you will need to read up on the shhh/pat method.  Also, do you swaddle?  That was a big help when I moved Tori because the blanket kinda replaced me and made her feel safe.  Also, babies of this age like to have the crown of their head against something (it helps to ground them).  I would place Tori with her head against the bumper and that would help her her to settle.  Use your instinct with the pillow.  If you feel that he is unsettled, try it.
You will know what to do.....I know that sounds weird but you will understand the vibes that your lo is putting out  :D.
hth
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline lilbradi

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2006, 16:31:44 pm »
Thank you - it helps to know that you had a successful transition.  I think he's ready to have his space but loves to be with me so I'm just concerned about that.  I'll try to move him without the pillow first.  If that doesn't seem to make him happy, I'll pick up the pillow and plan to camp in his room for a while!  He normally kicks out of his swaddle but I'll do all I can to keep him in it.  I know it will help him feel more secure without me!

Thanks again!

Offline Tori's Mom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2006, 17:04:12 pm »
To give you more hope, my dd would not sleep unless she was in my arms for the first 3 months of life  ::).  She now will not sleep in our bed...she thinks it is playtime!  I will be alittle rough at first but will get easier.  Just whatever you do be consistent and it will move faster.
Good luck....let me know how it goes!
Jacki
Mom to Tori   3/13/05

Offline Idahomom

• -Jen-
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2006, 17:08:53 pm »
I wanted to send you good luck vibes lilbrandi, I think your lo is young enough that you will have success.  We moved ds to his own crib in his nursery at 3.5 mo.  We started with naps during the day and then night sleeping.  We switched to a df and after about 4 days he was doing great!  Now 4.5 mo old and sleeping through the night in his crib and naps fairly well during the day (still working on the afternoon nap).  Like Tori's mom ds would only sleep while being held and after a bottle.  But he took to EASY very nicely, in fact I think he was relieved!!  We're here if you need us ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

*ham and eggs: a day's work for a chicken, a lifetime commitment for a pig*

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 17:12:52 pm »
I too wish to send you good luck vibes. :) I think you've picked the perfict time to start. Your LO is old enough to sleep by himself, but young enough to make the trasition easier.
I agree about the swaddleing, it'll really help him feel more snug and sucure. You could even use a blanket that you and your DH have had in the bed with you, so it smells like you, Not sure if it'll make a big difference, but it might, the pillow idea made me a bit weary.
Kimberly

Offline lilbradi

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 18:39:24 pm »
You are all wonderful!  Thank you so much for the support!!  Here's to a happy and EASY baby!

I'll keep ya posted!