Author Topic: Mixing solids with cereal?  (Read 1006 times)

Offline MaddoxsMommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Mixing solids with cereal?
« on: June 27, 2006, 18:28:11 pm »
Do you still add liquid to the cereal if you are mixing solids(like fruit) with it after they have tried both alone?  Just wanted to start mixing fruit with my son's cereal in the morning and wondering if I should still add ebm?  Also how many times a day do you give them cereal?

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Mixing solids with cereal?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2006, 03:05:06 am »
I may be wrong about this, but all I ever do is add some cereal to the solids, without liquid.  I go for a kind of paste consistancy, but not too thick.  When she was just on purees, we did some cereal with other stuff at all meals.  Mine is a former preemie with reflux though.  More calories, and it stayed down easier then.     :)
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Brandonsmom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • The owl says "whooo whooo".
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 01:56:26 am »
I didn't know you could do that. I still mix cereal with formula and then add some fruit to it. Can you add vegetables to the cereal too?
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 03:05:14 am »
At nine months, I now normally do an oz or two of EBM (whatever I can squeeze out after the morning feed) and mix with rice cereal and a tsp or two of fruit to a good paste. I used to do them separately, but just figured it made things a little easier to do it all at once. If there isn't enough EBM, I'll add more liquid with prune/apple juice.

I do cereal first thing in the morning, but finish every meal with a handful of "baby chex mix" for DS to play with: cheerios, rice chex, small freeze-dried apple pieces, and gerber veggie puffs. I hope that gets enough "grains" into DS throughout the day! We also do a "slice" of toast -- pretty teeny once I cut off the crusts and then into eighths. I spread it with prunes or apricots, just to get a little extra fibre in DS. That's normally at dinnertime, to help fill him up for the night.

hth!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 03:07:25 am by katriona »

Offline mena

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 06:53:31 am »
My DS' breakfast consists of oatmeal porridge made with water and mixed with lots of fruit. He loves it. You can also do it with milk, of course, but I haven't felt that adventurous yet.

Normally that's the only time of day I give him cereals, but I know many women who recommend giving it in the evening as well and they're LOs have done great.

HTH
Mom to
- Star Wars fanantic 24/11/05
- Little Princess 11/2/08
- Big baby with Big Brown Eyes 31/07/10

Offline Sydney

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 00:28:47 am »
Hi

dd is 8.5 months and I giver her cereal (oatmeal) in the morning with 2 ounces or so of formula and also add fruit to it as well. 

HTH.