Author Topic: can't sleep, won't sleep!  (Read 911 times)

Offline NO.1bug

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 30, 2005, 15:05:41 pm »
Hi there, i'm new to this so bare with me....

My daughter is 6 weeks old today and thriving in every way except she just doesn't want to go to sleep! She gets that wide eyed look and just can't wind down. I have read Tracy's first book and me and my partner are trying to teach her to sleep using swaddling and the pat shush techniques. She is only awake for a very short period of time, maybe just a feed which is very short about 10/15 mins and a nappy change and she starts to yawn. I then take her to put her down, last night after the evening bath this took 4 hours and a lot of crying! She is just falling asleep, going into the 3 stage, i gently put her down, holding her still and shusshing, but just as she is about to drop off, something, maybe wind wakes her up and her eyes are wide open. I feel like i'm trying to put her to sleep constantly!
 I try to wind her a best as possible and i am using gripe water before each feed. I thought it maybe acid reflux as she seems to be worse when she is flat, so she has started sleeping in her pushchair as it is semi upright and she seems happier there. She also has been making some gurgling noises as she finally drifts off...
She is quite calm unless we don't pick her up again, although we have had a couple of all night crying sessions!
Sleeps throught the night fine, waking typically at 3 and 6 for feeds.

ok, well i hope that makes sense. If anyone has any suggestions, or is going through the same thing, i would love to hear from you.

S

Offline Kitsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
can't sleep, won't sleep!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 00:43:46 am »
Both of mine slept in a carseat until they were around three months.  (Not in the car) I used to swaddle them, stick a binkie in their mouth, put them in the carseat and either rock them (using my foot to gently rock the carseat) or swing them (holding the handle and swing them gently back and forth until they were asleep.

They also loved the sling.  This was good for calming them when they were fussy.  I would carry them around in a sling and put the paci in their mouth.  Sometimes, they would nap in the sling.

Have you tried a paci.  It is a real help at this age.

Sounds pretty normal for a 6 week old.  It does get better and easier.  Get your lo to sleep anyway you can right now.  Don't worry about bad habits just yet.

Congrats on you lo.  Happy Holidays!