Author Topic: Please help eliminate 5 am waking!  (Read 1306 times)

Offline anuta77

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help eliminate 5 am waking!
« on: July 07, 2006, 13:50:36 pm »
My 10 wo wakes up every morning on the dot at 5 am.  He's not particularly hungry at that time (maybe will eat 1- 1.5 oz) Re-swadling and putting him back to sleep as during night wakings does not work.  He usually gets his last feed at 6:30, down for the night at 7:30 and has a dream feed at 11:30.  He's still up for a feed most of the night at 2 am which I don't mind as much as the 5 am wake up time.  Please help me extend his wake up time till 6:30 or 7 am.

Thanks!

Offline erinsmum36

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 22:16:13 pm »
if you are sure he isnt hungry then give this ago..
i had the same problem with my lo, and i could almost set a watch within the half hour of her waking, so i decided that she was not hungry - usually took less than a 4 min feed from me and resettled. i picked a friday night and told my husband that if she did it that night he had to go in, as she always associates me with a feed. he went in at 5 and i said not to pick her up etc, just reassure her it was bedtime and leave. he did this about 5 times (and she yelled of course) and then he came back in and said shes asleep. (it took 40 mins start to finish). the last time he went in he did pick her up as she was sobbing and he gave her a cuddle, lay her down and she slept. she has never woken up again before6:30 am. I think the change of person and no feed worked together. I did expect it to take more nights, but she obviously learnt quickly.

Offline goverman

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 05:36:28 am »
Hi there.  This is my first post. This site is amazing to help out with problems that we all seem to share and wanted to let you know you are no alone.  I too have an 11 wo that he is waking at 5.00 on the dot (hence writing this post so early from the UK  :), he actually seems to have the exact cycle as your lo, so any additional help out there would help me out too. 
Thanks!
Gill

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Re: Please help eliminate 5 am waking!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 20:09:48 pm »
There was another post of a mommy who combined a few methods with success.  I'm going from memory, but I think she basically didn't feed her LO until the normal breakfast time (LO wasn't waking for food so this was easy to do).  When her LO woke early and was ready to start the day, she would accomodate him except she kept him in his room and had very low-key play in the dark (no additional lights).  She might have even kept her LO in the crib until the normal  wakeup time with low-key play.  After just a few mornings her LO started sleeping later and later and pretty quickly started waking at the normal wakeup time.  Her theory was that the LO was waking because his internal clock got reset cuz of the lights (natural and artificial) and that keeping it dark until the normal wakeup time helped reset the clock to  the normal schedule. 
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt