Author Topic: Newborn and EASY  (Read 752 times)

Offline RunAround

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: February 13, 2007, 19:20:45 pm »
Hello,

My baby boy, Isaac, is 2 1/2 weeks old and I think he might be an Angel baby, but at this point I'm still trying to figure it out. 

We just started EASY this weekend when he turned 2 weeks old, so this is really our 3rd day.  I would have started earlier but we have had some problems with jaundice as well as my very low milk supply. 

My main concern is with breastfeeding but that is for another board, so I'll get to the EASY questions.  First of all, my little boy tends to be a sleeper, as he is very young and has dealt with jaundice.  So he wakes to eat, but then falls asleep at the breast.  Feeding takes anywhere from 45 m. to an hour, which is WAY TOO LONG  in the middle of the night!  It's very difficult to imagine having any activity at this point - usually he stays awake through a diaper change and swaddling, then he wants to go to sleep (and so do I). 

What kind of activity is expected for a newborn?

Thanks for your help!

Rachael

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Newborn and EASY
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 20:18:39 pm »
Hi Rachael,

Welcome to the BW Boards. 

Right now it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job.  At this age, it is not expected of your lo to have any A time, and at the most, probably a nappy change, but that is it.

He is still very young, and is adjusting to the outside world, so really will only eat and sleep.  It is also very common for them to take such a long time to feed, and also to fall asleep while feeding.  What you need to try and do is wake your lo when the feed is finished and then do a nappy change and then wind down for your nap / bedtime.  This way you will encourage independant sleep.

Some of these links may be of some use to you.

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63243.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=62100.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=6208.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=65842.0

HTH's

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline vistulaboy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 12:11:56 pm »
Hi there everyone.
So many questions. But firstly thanks to everyone for helping..well .. everyone.
Ist time dad and my boy is just a week old. Am trying to get him on Easy, but is it too early for him? He is fantastic during the day, feeds regulary, sleeps to a generally good pattern and overall is fantastic. But then comes night. He seems to struggle to get to sleep as easily as he normally does during the day, and I am worried that maybe my partner and me are turning into props for his night time sleeping. I know he is very young, am I expecting too much? Should I just be prepared for a little re-adjustment time for all of us, and just chill out a bit. It's just that he seems to have problems feeding at night whereas during the day he and his mum hit it off so well.
I need to relax more don't I? 

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Newborn and EASY
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 19:45:25 pm »
Hi and welcome to the boards.

At 1 week of age you will not get your DS on EASY as such as he is still too young to have much activity time, but you can teach him the concept of feeding, activity being just a nappy change and settling him down to sleep so that he falls asleep independantly.

I would not worry too much at this age as your son is still adjusting to being in the outside world and everything is so new to him.

That is fantastic news that he is doing so well during the day and is sleeping and settling well during the days.

Night time can be a lot different.  It has been a long day for him, even though he has napped so well during the day, the day still takes it's toll on him.  The late afternoon, and evenings are generally called the fussy period, and a lot of people say that they find it very difficult to get their lo's to sette.  I can tell you that it does get better as your lo gets a bit older.

You and your wife are doing fantastically  ;D for now just sit back, relax and enjoy your baby boy. Things will fall into place soon.  Most babies don't actually get onto an established EASY routine until they are about 6 weeks old.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007