Author Topic: How to implement EASY on solids?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline EdwinaIRL

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: July 29, 2005, 08:57:57 am »
Hi ,

My DD started solids two weeks ago, it's going well we are jsut doing the luch time feed at moment. I'm taking solids real slowly and carefully as I've erad alot on Nutrition and I've a chronic illness myself so want to be careful with allergies etc for DD.
Anyway DD's feeds are like this
7am Breastfeed, 11am breastfeed followed by solids(i'm calling this her luunch), 3pm breastfeed, 6-7pm formula bottel feed, 10.45 formula bottle dreamfeed.
I've read most places that when introducing solids to give breast or bottle first then some solids and then offer more breast or bottle but I'm confused as i've been doing it this way but on referencing Baby Whisperer book last night it seems Tracey advises breast/bpttle first then wait an hour then solids? is this what most of you are doing? Shoudl I give DD her solids at 12 noon then , if I breastfeed at 11am? At least 12 noon is closer to a normal lunchtime hour too. I'm following a book called Optimum Nutrition for Babies and Toddlers by Lucy Burney for recipes and introduction of foods. It's a fantastic book, would highly recommend.

Edwina

Offline Freyas Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to implement solids on easy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005, 14:38:35 pm »
My daughter is 5 months old and is on 2 meals per day (breakfast and dinner).  I am giving the solids first then the bottle.  Sometimes she only takes 4oz after her solids but then lasts the 4 hours until her next feed so I am presuming she does not need more.  Should I be waiting an hour after her bottle before giving solids???

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
How to implement EASY on solids?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005, 15:48:12 pm »
Hi there,

When my lo was 6mos I gave her solids (breakfast & dinner).  I waited for another month before I gave her lunch.  I always gave her solids about an hour after her milk, except dinner.  I always gave her dinner at 5:30pm or 6pm and then would give her milk right before bedtime.  Here's what it looked like.

7am - wake & bf (maybe 6-7oz?)
8am - solids (3tbls of oatmeal or barley, 2cubes of fruit)

11am - wake from nap & bf (4-5oz)
12 - lunch (2cubes of avacado or other veggies)

3:30 - wake from nap & bf (4oz)

5:30 or 6pm Dinner (3tbls of barley, 2cubes of vegges, 2cubes of fruit)

7:30pm Bf (4-5oz)
I always gave milk first since at this age breastmilk or formula is the main nutrition and I didn't want her to get too filled up on solids first; and then waited to give solids about an hour after.

Does that help?

Kathy

Offline Freyas Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005, 16:01:30 pm »
Thanks Kathy

That does help.  I am back to work in a few weeks and will not have enought time to split the solid and milk feed in between travelling to work and nap times so not sure what to do.  At the moment our day is as follows:

7am - 1 teaspoon baby rice and 1 cube of fruit followed by 5oz bottle
11am - 5/6oz bottle - not sure if I should introduce lunch at this time, perhaps just a cube of veg or fruit?
3pm - 5/6oz bottle
6pm - 1 teaspoon baby rice and 1 cube of veg followed by 3/4oz bottle
10pm - DF 6oz bottle

Do you think this sounds ok or should I leave an hour in between like you have done?

Thanks Fiona

Offline Jadynsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 19:20:01 pm »
Fiona,

If the current routine is working for you, I would leave it at that, especially since you won't be able to break it up while travelling.  As long as she is drinking her milk I wouldn't worry too much about solids.  I worried alot also about solids but the moms here at BW have reassured me that milk is where her nutrition should come from and solids is just for practice. :wink:   You said that she can last 4hrs so definitely is a good sign she's ok on her feeding.

I would just give a cube or two of veggies after milk for 11am feeding, but you could probaly wait another month to start that.  At least that's what I did when she was 6mos.

Kathy

Offline Freyas Mum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 08:33:25 am »
Thanks Kathy

That helps put my mind at ease.  I think I will leave it another month to introduce lunch as she is happy with what she is having at the moment.

Thanks for your help

Fiona

Offline pdb

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 23:08:35 pm »
I did pretty much the same thing as Kathy starting around 6 months.  I was also worried about how feeding would work out when I returned to work, as I have a 30 min. commute and have to be at work by 7:25.  I found that giving the bottle when she wakes and then waiting an hour for solids works well.  She eats her solids right after we get to her sitter's house.
Phoebe

Offline amheusser

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • West Michigan
    • Logos Academy
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005, 22:38:10 pm »
Once dd was pretty well established with solids (around 6-7 months), I started to separate solids from milk. 

Check out the EASY forum too, for lots of sample schedules - most posts are pretty specific about what the E involves, and it can give you a good idea what other people have done.
Aubrey
-------------------------------