Author Topic: 6 month old - giving solids before milk  (Read 1122 times)

Offline VINEWEEVIL1

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 12, 2006, 17:26:04 pm »
I have read other posts etc and most thing suggest giving solids after milk but I wondered if I could try before at first??

I have been offering my LO solids at 8:10 in the morning after giving 7 1/2 0z milk at 7:00am.   I have already cut an ounce off his 7:00 feed which I make up in his later bottles.

He doesn't seem interested in the slightest in the solids.  I have tried baby rice and added some pear and banana.  The other day about 30 mins bvefore his 11:00 feed I gave him a bit of my banana on my finger and he sucked myfinger to death and wanted more but have tried banana for brekkie and no go.

I know that they need most of their nutriotion from milk for a while and I am very careful to add up his oz's every day and make sure he is having between 33-35 (which is enough to keep him from waking in the night!).

I could try solids before milk or during and still make sure that he had the same qty throughout the day - would this work or is it a bad idea???

Offline VINEWEEVIL1

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 6 month old - giving solids before milk
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 17:27:29 pm »
forgot to add he is just 6 months and have been trying for 2 weeks.  Only started that bit before 6 months as he woke up a couple of nights demanding more milk.

Offline *Natasha*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 22:18:37 pm »
If you want to try it then give it a go however it it starts to interferre with his milk intake then change back again. I always say you do what suits you and your baby.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline arial

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 23:05:02 pm »
I am certainly not an expert in this.  My Joshua sure has many changes in his eating habits  quite often.  At times he dranks his bottles completely, other times he likes solids more than milk, then others he likes milk more than solids.  There has even been a time when he would not touch solids.

My LO has been on solids since 4 months and he hit a stonewall after his 6 months shots when he started to refused his solids.  This happened for a few days.  Then, I started to offer him a bit of the solids before his milk, then I give him ALL his milk and then followed it with more solids.  He still does not eat all his solids like he used to but at least he is eating it.  BTW, before his 6 months, he used to eat his solids after his milk.  He actually was not drinking his milk to well, but he sure enjoyed his solids.

Hope this helps.

Offline sweetdiane

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 02:25:40 am »
My sweet girl is 7 months 1 week. I started by giving her solids before her milk. Just a couple of teaspoons at first and it's been going just great she really likes her solids especially the sweet ones so be sure to give your little one a selection of non sweet solids. ;D

Offline rinajack

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 162
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 08:21:31 am »
I think solids first is fine if you feed only a certain amount, not keep feeding until they are full.  I do solids first already and it is great for us, she eats everythign better this way
Rina - Mum to Zara 29/3/06
                     Hugh 26/8/07
                     Bree 31/5/10