Author Topic: 5wks- advice?  (Read 815 times)

Offline altpj11

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:58:51 am »
Hello! I'm hoping for some feedback on 2nd baby, 5wks today. I have been loosely implementing easy from the start, and am wondering if I could/ should be doing more at this stage to make it easier on him & myself as he gets into a more predictable routine.

We always try have a small activity time or at least diaper change after feeds so he falls asleep without nursing. I often have to hold him, almost always. Normal at this stage?
I'm not sure of his type for sure but seems maybe spirited? Hard to say for sure. Definitely flails a lot and needs to be swaddled but almost always breaks out of swaddle- I've tried different blankets, arms down, up, Australian swaddle.. Not sure if there are any other ways.

At what age does night sleep generally lengthen? He goes 3 hrs from start of feed to start of feed almost like clockwork at night, I sometimes need to wake him during day, but try to so he doesn't get too much day sleep. Any tips or is this too young to try, just wait?

How is best to teach independent sleep? I haven't worries yet about often holding him till he's sleeping, especially because he's had (resolving) reflux issues and would work himself up and start burping and hick upping if layers down too awake. Is there a best method that anyone had found works well at this age 5 weeks? He might be getting over tired though, bc often it takes 30-45 minutes to put him down.

Any feedback on implementing with spirited 2nd would be great! Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 12:56:54 pm by altpj11 »

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5wks- advice?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 18:12:32 pm »
Hi.
I think it is certainly possible to teach independent sleep at this age, it is a slow gradual process, I started about 4.5 weeks and DS was falling to sleep on his own by about 8 wks or something (certainly under 10 wks), but I only had one baby and no other child to care for so I had the time to put into it.  It would take the full 20 mins (by the clock!) to fall asleep from first sleepy signs then swaddle, shush/pat to calm and into the bed then continue shush/pat whilst he went through the seven mile stare and the nodding eyes until eventually he was off to dream land. Initially shush/pat into deep sleep, then reduce with the aim of stopping before he finally nods off, but always prepare to start up immediately if there is a fuss so that he doesn't fully awaken.

As for swaddles, I only swaddled naps until 10 weeks and never nights so I am nto the best to recommend but I hear the woombie is popular.

Offline altpj11

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 21:20:28 pm »
Thank you for your feedback! I will try this week to always settle LO in his crib more awake and use the shush/pat. Another question. Did you use a pacifier? I know Tracy had definite view points on its use and I've read and re read them as our older son's became a prop and we would have to wake up to give it to him for several months before he got over that. I'm hoping to avoid that with this one, but often he needs something to suck.

For anyone who has successfully used a pacifier without it becoming a prop...
Would you use it only initially when your baby was settling and not give it back after they spit it the first time even if they woke up and seemed to want to suck on it again? Use shh/pat at this point? I don't give it back unless LO wakes fully and seems to want it back, but maybe I shouldn't be giving it back at all..? Any feedback from someone successful in non-prop paci use would be awesome:)

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 496
Re: 5wks- advice?
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 10:43:05 am »
My DS refused a paci. I tried a couple of times but he just hated it (he has never sucked his fingers or thumb either). It meant there was no 'simple' way to pacify him and I was forced to sooth him in other ways, cuddles, shush/pat, early bond with a lovey. The positive side to this is that I never once worried about a prop issue and never had to wake to re-plug.  However, there are positives to using the paci, if your LO finds it comforting then it's a great help to aiding them calm and relax, there are also benefits with regards to SIDs, and it's been shown paci use can help avoid SIDS risk so I wouldn't be too against it yk?  It is also advised (if you have introduced a paci) not to go cold turkey on the use of a paci under 6 months. You might want to consider this whilst deciding how to approach the paci use for your LO.

Certainly I understand the idea behind Tracy's paci guides, to allow for the rapid sucking and soothing, then to remove (or let it fall out) as the sucking becomes weaker and less frequent.  If you keep replugging your LO will rely on it to fall to sleep, but as said there are benefits to this as well as the inconvenience of re-plugging.

Offline altpj11

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 20:32:00 pm »
Thanks!