Author Topic: 8mo waking for 3am bottle. Re-start DF?  (Read 897 times)

Offline amymiranda

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:41 am »
About five weeks ago, we dropped the DF for my 8mo daughter and we had a great first week.  She slept through from 7pm to 8am no problems :)

Then she cut a new tooth and since then she has woken up for three weeks straight at 3am for a bottle. Fortunately she goes back to sleep straight away.  But is it worth re-introducing the dream feed?  We are giving her solids through the day.

She is a big baby and although 8 mo, her doctor says she is the weight and height of a 10mo.  So maybe she is just going to need more milk until she starts taking on more solids?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

8am: wake and full bottle
9am: breakfast - usually baby cereal and fruit pot
10am: sleep
12pm: bottle
1pm: lunch - savoury puree and some sort of yoghurt/ or fruit
2pm: sleep (at home or in buggy)
4pm: bottle
5.30pm: tea - savoury puree and some sort of yoghurt or fruit, maybe some cereal
6.00: wind down/bath/bedtime
7pm: bottle and sleep
3am: waking for bottle....

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 8mo waking for 3am bottle. Re-start DF?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 06:46:38 am »
Personally I wouldn't re-start the DF as this is the age you would be dropping it. I think that 3am wake could be a bit of a habit now - is it exactly the same time she wakes? If she slept through for a week and is taking full bottles (how much is a full bottle for you?) in the day then she doesn't really need the night bottle either.

It was at this age we weaned my DD's nightfeed, (she didn't have a DF) by reducing her bottle by 1oz every 3 nights, then when it got down to about 3oz she slept through one night so after that we just offered water if she woke. The first night she wasn't impressed but we re-settled her and she only woke a couple of nights after that - she gave up when she realised there was no more milk.

What do you think?

Laura

Offline amymiranda

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 8mo waking for 3am bottle. Re-start DF?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 18:42:35 pm »
Hi Laura,

Many thanks for your helpful reply.  We will certainly try this approach - I think we were just a bit too optimistic going 'cold turkey' and dropping the feed.  We'll do it in stages and see how we go.

Thanks again for the advice.

Amy