Author Topic: 2.5 week old  (Read 902 times)

Offline Sammydrwho

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: April 07, 2011, 19:40:14 pm »
I am currently trying Easy with my 2.5 week old and am feeding him 3oz every 4 hours (as this is what my DD1 did) at 6am,10,2,6,10 etc..

Am I feeding him enough? He seems to wake up after 3 hours sometimes and I last him out with a dummy until 4 hours.

If I did every 3 hours would the day be 6,9,12,3,6,9,12,3 - that's 8 bottles rather then 6 (on the packet it says 6 feeds until 4 weeks then 5 feeds?

Thanks............

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 2.5 week old
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 19:50:12 pm »
Congratulations on your new arrival!

3 hourly feeds are more appropriate for such a tiny baby, follow his cues if he is showing hunger cues at 3 hours then you need to feed him. I wouldn't worry about what the tin says, it's just a rough guide and you need to feed to your baby's appetite. Is he draining the 3oz bottles? If he is you need to add another oz in. There should be a bit left in the bottle when they have finished, this is to make sure that they have stopped because they are full like a breastfed baby would and not just because the bottle is empty.

Are you familiar with the Baby Whisperer books and routines? Up until around 4 months a 3 hour routine of Eat, Activity and Sleep (EASY) is appropriate to make sure they get enough sleep and calories in the day in order that they can sleep for longer stretches at night. Formula fed babies do sometimes go to a 4 hour feed time before 4 months but they aren't usually able to do the activity time needed. Have a look at this link for examples of the EASY routines for tiny ones but don't worry if it takes a while to get into it. http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=164027.0. These may be useful to you too http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=186622.0  http://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=80827.0

What do you think?

Laura

Offline Sammydrwho

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 20:22:59 pm »
Many thanks Laura!

I have the book, but seem to subconciously want him to do what my daughter did. I think I need to start an EASY log and feed him at 3 hour intervals if that's what he wants!??

I have seen that some people do bedtime at 9pm? Can I make bedtime after the 5/6pm feed instead?

Am I right in thinking that EASY is actually baby-led, not on demand, but still giving baby what he wants when he wants it within reason?

One other question (sorry!) He is very sucky - first thing he did at birth was suck his fingers!! I am using a dummy for naps when he can't self-sooth (when he's overtired!) but he constantly wakes up after spitting it out becasuse he tried to find his fingers!! Shall I continue using it risking a baby who becomes addicted or encourage himm to find his thumb?

Thanks!

Offline Lolly

• Bottle Feeding, Discipline and Socialization
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 318
Re: 2.5 week old
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 20:36:29 pm »
You can make bedtime after the 5/6 pm feed but that would make for an early start to the day when you are working on a 12 hour day/night, but if it works for you then it's fine. They don't seem to fit into a "normal" bedtime for a few weeks because of the more frequent feeds in the early days and actually a slightly later asleep for the night time may give you a better chance at some sleep as they often sleep better for the first part of the night!

We did a set(ish) bedtime with my DD from tiny because her big brother was going to bed at that time so it was easier to get them both settled at the same time. She was a bit later than him in the early weeks because of feeding but it has worked well in the long run.

Yes, BW is baby led within reason! Tracy taught us to follow cues but also to provide structure to help us follow cues. For example if your LO is crying shortly after feed time and you know he has had a full feed you will know hunger is not the reason for crying. Babies cues can be tricky to read, but if you know that his Activity time is around 1 hour then you will know to settle to sleep (remember A time is awake time so everything from eyes open to eyes shut!).

The dummy thing is a hard one. We did cold turkey removal with my first adict at 4.5 months and it was easy. With DD we never seemed to get around to it and now at nearly 2 she still has it but strictly in her cot. It's up to you really, but I personally think that it's easier to wean a dummy than it is a thumb - you can't get rid of that! I sucked my thumb until I was a teenager ::).

Please don't worry about asking questions - we love to help!

Laura