Author Topic: Help with shush/pat method  (Read 900 times)

Offline snjshaker

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: January 25, 2006, 18:49:25 pm »
I started the winding down after my daughter yawned for the first time and swaddled her.  She started screaming her head off, usually we only swaddle her after she gets quite sleepy, and no amount of patting or shushing would calm her down.  It has been a continuous challenge to get her to sleep after she's been awake for a little while.  She never drifts off to sleep peacefully unless it's at night. How long should I be patting and shushing before I give up?  And do you pat and shush while they're swaddled or swaddle after?  Please help!

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Help with shush/pat method
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 18:59:13 pm »
Have you checked out the pat/shh thread at the top of the forum?  That has a ton of good info for you.  Usually you swaddle before patting.  If she is ok at night, does her room maybe need to be darker for naps?  What happened when you were waiting to swaddle?  Was she easier to get to sleep?   
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline snjshaker

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 16:54:44 pm »
Yes, I read the main thread and I tried it to the last detail.  Now I have resorted to taking her to her room and starting the winding down and giving her the pacifier to lull her to sleep.  I still hold her and rock her a little bit, but put her down and swaddle her just before she is completely asleep and stay with her for a little while to make sure she has drifted off.  I hope this is not creating a prop!

Offline JennŠ

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: Help with shush/pat method
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 19:30:30 pm »
How old is she?  What would happen if you take the pacifier out once she is asleep?
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.