Author Topic: early wake up at 5:30am for 8 month old  (Read 2865 times)

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« on: January 26, 2006, 12:59:55 pm »
what to I do to have her sleep a bit longer? she is waking at 5:30 am and is sleeping throught the night so I cannot complaine, but I sould like to push her wake time a bit later. I have tried putting her bact to sleep, but she is wide awake. ::) Having her wake at 5:30 am is making her first nap earlier and second resulting in her needing a third nap. is this bad? she wants to go down for her first nap at 8:15am. I am putting her to bed at 7ish. bringing hr upat 6:15-6:30 for wind down and bottle. she is falling asleep independently at 7-7:15ish. should I move it earlier or later? what should I do?? ???

Offline DJDG's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: early wake up at 5:30am for 8 month old
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 16:14:25 pm »
Hi,
I would suggest putting her to sleep a bit later more like 8 or 8:15pm. That works for me and a few other people I know. On average they need about 15 hours of sleep total including naps. It is normal for them to want a nap 2 hours or so after they wake in the morning. My son takes an hour and a half in the morning and the same in the afternoon. I always make sure he is up from his afternoon nap no later than 5:30pm as his bed time is around 8:15pm. Hope this helps!

Tara
Tara

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 17:17:28 pm »
the only problem is her naps during the day are not long enough so she would not get enought sleep if I put her down later???  ??? ???

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 21:54:49 pm »
We were having a similar problem.....check out my post entitled "early waking 10 1/2 month old" under Night Wakings.   I got tons of great suggestions and lo is back to 7 - 7/7:30.  I too considered a later bedtime but I'm glad we didn't do it.....especially considering that daylight savings is coming in a couple months.  I'd write specific suggestions now but I have to get supper ready (like I said check out this thread)

:D

Offline DJDG's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 04:19:35 am »
Maybe putting her down later won't be the best thing for you. My lo's schedule works well for him but everyone is different. I do think that the co-sleeping issue will make a difference. Start with that and then eventually work on the naps. My sister-in-law was having the same issues with my niece, she finally has her sleeping in her crib no problem at night , she did what I suggested and it worked but she still won't nap well unless she drives around! I think you just have to take it one step at a time. It really sounds like ending the co-sleeping at night would be the best way to start. I hope it works out for you, there is a lot of support on this site and I think it's great that you're using it. All the best!

Tara
Tara

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 13:05:06 pm »
there is no co-sleeping here. she is and has been in her crib for night time and naps since she has been born.

Thanks for hte reply's. she actually did better today. slept until 6:15 which I do not mind at all. she went down at 7 and slept straight through. Yesterday she had great naps and I was successful in extending a 30 min nap to a  1.5 hour nap. ;D

I think her cold the last week may have thrown her schedule off a bit.

I actually did read the theread about your LO waking early and it was great. I think she is getting back on track and I am going ot keep working on her naps and I think things will sort out.

I do not want to put her down later. she is tired at this time and falls asleep on her own easily and I do not want her to get overtired.

thanks so much for your help everyone. I appreciate it.

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 13:49:27 pm »
so glad you had a fantastic night...hope it keeps up!  let us know!!  Just out of curiosity, did your lo have 3 naps yesterday or just two?

Offline DJDG's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 15:41:17 pm »
I'm so sorry, in regards to the co-sleeping I had confused you with someone else who had a similar issue! I'm glad to hear that you had a better night. Those colds and flus can really turn our lives upside down while they last eh?!
Tara

Offline allyson

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 17:41:33 pm »
No problem at all ;)

She actually had 3 naps yesterday. I have her figured out now, it just took a bit because she wanted more A time and finding that sweat spot to put her down was tough to find. she has 2.5 hours of A time from when she gets up in the morning then down for a nap. then from when she gets up and for the rest of the day she has 3 hours of A time before needing a nap.

Yesterday since she was up so early I had to put her down early so she was up from her second nap at 1:15 and it was 1.5 hours long. I gave her another nap at 4:15 and it was a quick catnap of 25 min. and off to bed for 7. she did great and I will probably have to give her a catnap today also because I am slowley shifting her second nap to 1pm and today it is at 12:30pm. I am hopefully going to extend this nap today. thanks for the help guys ;)

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2006, 03:30:12 am »
How great Allyson....sounds like things are getting back on track.   :) :)

Offline C-line

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 02:21:32 am »
Sorry to horn in here, but I'd love some advice too as I have been have what seems to be the exact same issue with my son.  He's 8mo old tomorrow, sleeps from 6:30pm - 5:30am.  I've tried putting to bed a little later and a little earlier to no avail in extending the wake up time.  I do not go in his room until after 6am and he amuses himself fine in his crib but he's ready for his first nap around 7:30am!  Up until this week he's been taking 3 naps, usually two 2 hr naps and 1 shorter one that bridges us till bedtime.  This week he just wouldn't take the 3rd nap... stayed in bed chatting but never sleeping.  I guess he's telling me he doesn't need it but given that he wakes up so early, we have a hard time making it to bed time without it. 

This is our schedule - any further advice?  I'm not very clear on WTS... i know this sounds lame given I'm on this site but I can't find anything about this in my Baby Whisperer book.  Is WTS the approach to take or should I look at trying to keep him up longer between naps?  I'm scared to do the latter for fear of him getting overtired which has always screwed up everything for us.  Thanks in advance!

5:30 - wake up but stays in bed while mom hopes he'll go back to sleep
6-6:30 - up for the day, eat, play
7:30-8am - nap (2hrs)
10am - eat, play
12pm - nap (2hrs)
2pm - eat, play
3:30 or 4pm - nap (1hr)
6:30 - bedtime

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2006, 03:34:58 am »
Hi C-Line... well, I see your dilemma even though many would envy what you have.  Technically your son is getting 11 hours of solid sleep which is fantastic.  (I think 11 1/2 is ideal according to different things I've read but that's just a guideline)  First of all, I think it's great that he can amuse himself in the morn and that you don't go running in....this will certainly help things.

I think you just need a little tweaking to shift his sleep phase...maybe if he went to sleep at 7 he'd sleep until 6 but then again.....however, I know you've said you've tried this but I'm wondering if you've shifted his naps/meals/activities too when you've done this or just the actual bedtime.

Looking at your schedule a few things stand out which you've actually noted.  First of all his first nap is way too early.  I know, it's hard to keep him up until 9 am when he's waking so early.  If you do this in increments though it should work (it did for me anyway)  Maybe if you put off his 7:30 nap by 10 or 15 minutes each day, it would help.  If you could eventually keep him until 9, then he would wake later which would result in a later second nap.   Could you find some sort of low key activity to do to distract him? A later 2nd nap would result in the elimination of the third nap and should hold him until bedtime.  You just have to be careful not to do this too drastically or he could get overtired (as you've mentioned) and start having too short naps.  Ideally, if you could get that 2nd nap to start around 1 or 1:30, he'd be up by 3 and should be okay until bed at 7.  Does that make sense?? I think I tend to ramble and repeat myself. :P

Or I suppose if you do want to keep the third nap and not change the other ones then definitely don't let him sleep the full hour.  Right now he's getting 5 hours of day sleep which I think maybe a bit much (but that's just me....you may want to check with one of the sleep moderators)  As for this week, you may be right, maybe he is telling you it's time to cut the cat nap (I think 8 months is a good/usual time)

As for wts, I've never done it but I've heard a lot of good things about it.  If you are hesitating to mess with his naps then maybe this is the route for you to take.  Afterall, you need to be comfortable with the strategy.  Do you have Tracy's newest book (big and hardcover).  It has a section on WTS under habitual waking (one of the 6 reasons for disturbed sleep)  I'd give you the page number but I lent out my book.  I'm not sure if her first book (softcover) addresses it.  Maybe if you start another thread asking for help on how to do WTS you'd get some insight.  Anyhow, I hope this helps.  Let us know what you decide and how it works out! :D

Zelka

Offline C-line

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2006, 04:38:03 am »
Thanks Zelka!

You have a point with what I've tried in the past.  I don't think I've truly tried to push back the entire schedule although I tend to do things the same way so in effect it should've pushed itself back.  Regardless I think I'll try again, in small increments as you suggest and hopefully naps won't be disrupted much if at all.  I don't have any problem eliiminating the 3rd nap as long as my son isn't a mess, ya know?  My sense is that WTS isn't the way to go for us (from the little I know of it) so I'll try this first.

One more question for you - I'm going on a trip with my son in just over a week.  Do you think I should wait till we get home to start making this adjustment or just not worry about that and go for it.  Thanks again!

Caroline

Offline zelkad

• BW Aficionado
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2006, 13:55:33 pm »
That's a tough call.  After travelling I'm sure he will be a bit off schedule anyway.  Will there be a time change where you're going?  If yes, I'd say don't worry about changing anything then.  If not, then it's really up to you.   I haven't travelled too much yet with our son so I really can't advise you too much.  If you don't change anything this week, just try to go to bed earlier to get some shut eye so you're rested for your trip. ;)

Offline C-line

• Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2006, 19:08:00 pm »
Thanks again Zelka!  Well, there will be a 2hr time difference but I'm planning to keep him on his home time zone so I think I might just go for it.  BTW, I've done this in the past (kept him on his home time zone) and it's worked well and had little, to no, repercussions from the travel upon arriving home.  Getting him to sleep well on vacation is a little tougher since it's not his own bed, but what can you do? 

Anyway, I'll let you know how things go... right now, I've got a severely overtired boy since he decided to just chat in bed yesterday rather than take any of his naps!  He hasn't done anything like that in months so I have no idea why.  Anyhow, I decided I better get him some rest and try to start adjusting the schedule in a day or so.  They always throw you a curve just when you think you've got a routine, eh? ha!