Author Topic: anyone tried the boot training cups?  (Read 2053 times)

Offline caf_uk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
anyone tried the boot training cups?
« on: August 13, 2006, 09:04:58 am »
Hi all,

Has anyone tried any of the boots training cups?  I was thinking of starting dd straight on the 7+ month cup rather than trying the 3 month cup then having to change it.  What are your thought on this?  What is the difference between these cups?  (or any brand really that has younger and older child versions)

Offline Wife and Mummy.

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
Re: anyone tried the boot training cups?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 09:15:33 am »
How old is she?I know that the 3 month cups are easier to drink from.As younger ones cant suck as hard as older babies.Have you tried a tommie tippie cup you can use these from 3 months and up to 3 or 4.When they get to toddler age you just buy this clear colour top that has a little hole so only a little comes out but they feel all grown up.
samantha,mum to all.

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 11:41:33 am »
Mine have the boots cups.  They get on fine with them, although it did come as a bit of a shock to them when the water dripped out instead of having to be sucked out!
Mine are 13 months and have been using them since they were about 7 months, I think  ??? (Baby brain!!)
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline caf_uk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 15:04:19 pm »
She's 5 months.  Wasn't going to try the cup until 6 months when she starts solids.  Do the boots one's have non-spill valves that you can remove if you want to?

Offline woopster

• Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 17:20:49 pm »
The ones I have don't have the valve, but I'm sure there are ones that do.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline tiki_mama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 18:28:28 pm »
My DD uses ones from Mothercare. They are quite small and light and they have a rubbery spout (hard but covered in rubber stuff which is great for teething!!). They have a valve which can deliver fast or slow flow (both require them to suck) or you can remove it completely for free flowing water.

She's drank from it since she was 5.5months (with my help!)   ;)

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 18:44:28 pm »
Have you tried a Doidy cup? it's a special slanted cup for use from 4 months (so no spout or straw, the sides are slanted so baby doesn't have to tip it to see the contents) our health visitors here rave about these cups & recommend going straight to them rather than a beaker. John Lewis sell them for abut £4 I think. Sophie won't drink out of hers (she just wants to wave it around & throw it) but my friend's ds (also 7 months) is doing really well with it.
]

Offline caf_uk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2006, 07:23:11 am »
Yeah I've seen them and think they're a great idea.  BUT I would like dd to be able have freedom with the cup once she knows how to use it so was thinking of going for the non-spill ones so she can do whatever she wants with it....

Do you try and get them to drink milk out of it?  She doesn't drink water at all at the moment.

Offline KathrynK

• spends far too much time on here
  • Showing Appreciation 171
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 10:19:02 am »
I personally haven't tried milk in anything other than a bottle. My friend tried milk in the beaker to see if it was the beaker that was the problem, or the water. Turned out it was the beaker which is why she went for the cup. Now 2 weeks later her ds will only have his milk from the doidy cup and will only drink water from his tommee tippee beaker- I guess they know what they like even at this young age!
]

Offline caf_uk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 16:38:55 pm »
i've just seen in mothercare a vital baby 3 stage trainer cup. sounds like the tommee tippee cup charlie and yasmins mummy mentioned.  It's got a non-spill spout that you can replace with a sippy lid then just a ring as they get older.... might try it.  I'm thinking as long as i pick one cup then stick to it hopefully we'll get there...

Offline KellyC

• Showing Appreciation 217
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 18:58:41 pm »
We have just about every cup on the market  ;)  Zander has now settled for an Avent Magic Cup for his water and juice and a Baby B Free trainer cup for his milk (not quite a cup but a compromise between a bottle and a cup as for some reason he won't drink milk from the Avent cup).

Kelly x
Mummy to Zander (2005), Nathaniel (2007) and Caleb (2009)

Offline Fife_Mum

• Showing Appreciation 23
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 05:26:59 am »
We have the simple Boots cup (might not be the same) which has a softish spout with (I think) one hole and no valve, plus the cup has no handles. I always used it for water for Fraser and the Avent cup for milk but Arwen has only used the Boots cup since she didn't take to a valve. She likes to turn it upside down and watch it drip though....

My main issue with Boots sippy cup has always been opening it. You kind of have to twist it from the spout until you get a little gap then lever it with a teaspoon (or blunt knife but that is dangerous for me) and the remaining liquid goes everywher when the lid eventually pops off. Does anyone with the same cup know what I mean - or am I just crazy?

Vicky

Vicky - Proud Mum to:
Fraser 29/03/2004,
Arwen 24/09/2005,
Sophie 20/11/2007

Offline maisy

• Showing Appreciation 131
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 07:33:56 am »
we have a basic tommee tippee cup. We also have a non spil cup but Kirsten can't suck anything out of it. She likes a sip of water in the tomee tippee one while she has her solids. 

When DS was a baby we used the Heinz baby basics range and they were fantastic. I can't find them anywhere this time though, I gues they don't make them anymore. If anyone knows where I can get them, give me a shout!

Vicky, I don't have a boots cup but had the exact same problem, when DS was a baby, with the anywayup cups. I could NEVER get the lids off them and when I eventually did, I ended up wearing the contents!  ::)

x x x x
Lee Ann,

Offline caf_uk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 11:21:15 am »
after reading all your advice and talking to good old mum i think i will get a 'normal' sippy cup without the non-spill business coz it sounds like lo's have too much trouble with them anyway...