Author Topic: weaning 16 mo old from bottle  (Read 1014 times)

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
weaning 16 mo old from bottle
« on: April 23, 2007, 23:28:07 pm »
Hi there!

I'm a little puzzled by my 16 mo-old's bottle situation and I don't know what is the best direction - if there is one or if anyone is as good as another... Maybe one of you girls (or guys cuz I know there are a few) can help ?

DS is 16 months old and loves (as in L-O-V-E-S) his bottle. He gets 4 bottles a day: 8oz with every meal and then 2oz after his bath. I know this might sound a lot for his age, but he still eats GREAT. It doesn't seem to cut back on is solid intake.

Now my question is: is this ok??? Should I be cutting back? When should he stop drinking from a bottle? (I've tried sippy cups, and have been for a LONG time now, yet he still prefers his bottle) What to do?

thanks for your input!
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
Re: weaning 16 mo old from bottle
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 14:34:27 pm »
hi!!

if his solids intake does not seem to be affected, i would not worry about him drinking all that milk.  it's probably a bit late for him to still have bottles, though, and i'd probably try & get rid of them.  i found the transition was much easier when i used those nuby sippy cups - they have a nice soft spout that's like the bottle nipple.

:)
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline newmaze

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 15:49:57 pm »
Or, if he has a strong suck on his bottle, I would try a straw cup.  It make take a week or two, but Lo's seem to adjust well to them.  To start my daughter off, I would take a sip of it to get the liquid up high, and from there on it was much easier for her to sip.  That first sip can be tough at times.

Offline nathansmum

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
  • mommy & me
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 12:29:48 pm »
Thanks for your replies! I will definitely give those 2 options a shot... He really LOVES to suck on his bottle, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again!
Marilyn,
mom to Nathan - december 6, 2005
& Lilymae - June 20, 2008