Author Topic: Very vocal baby - how to interpret voice sounds?  (Read 5886 times)

Offline OliviaM

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Very vocal baby - how to interpret voice sounds?
« on: October 05, 2006, 09:39:49 am »
Hi,
I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right area but I need some advice on how to interpret various sounds that my LO makes.

He is 3 mo and is a very vocal baby (typical for Spirited type?). He would lay under the playmat or sit in his rocker and make all sorts of noises. Sometimes he screams so loud, I don't know whether he is laughing or just about to start crying. I would rush to him ready to console and would find him giggling away with not a tear in his little eye. At the end, I find myself running backward and forward checking on him to make sure he is still OK.

Has anyone had similar problem with their LO? Any advice on how to interpret their sounds from the distance?

Thanks
Olivia

Offline MumToHenry

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Very vocal baby - how to interpret voice sounds?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 10:05:52 am »
This sounds very familiar to me as I am constantly surprised by the vocal range of my 13 week old !!! I think Henry just likes trying out his voice as he constantly shouts/screams/gurgles/makes mooing sounds etc etc (even in the middle of feeds sometimes which shocks both of us !!)

If I am at a distance from him I no longer respond to every shout and scream but wait and see if it turns into a full blown cry (which 9 times out of 10 it doesn't) and only then go to him...

Not much help as I can't really give you any advice on interpreting as such but thought I would let you know how I deal with my very vocal baby.

xxx

Offline mommyOFtwins

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 12:52:47 pm »
Sounds like he's talking.

I have two girls (5mos tomorrow) and they did and still do a wide range of vocal sounds.  One of their sounds is so load as if she's screaming (high high pitch noise) and i couldn't tell whether she was upset, frustrated or wanted to be moved. I eventually figured it out that their screams were mainly one of 'excitement'.

Soon you'll be able to figure it out also, and i guess look at their eyes and facial expression and it will tell you whether it's a happy one, excitement or scared.  But i guess in the meantime, enjoy it as i understand they are talking to you or a toy.  Try talking back to them when he makes the noise and you'll be surprised b/c he'll coo/scream right back.

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 20:22:54 pm »
Olivia,

I agree with PP.  It definitley sounds like your lo has found his voice.

I would not run to evey sound, rather wait to see what it is followed by.  If he starts to cry, then go to him and console him, otherwise leave him to experiement with his new found voice  ;D

Enjoy your happy Baby Boy
You will find with time that you will learn to read what his screetches and shrieks are for.

HTH

Paula x
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007