Author Topic: Returning to work and continue to bf...  (Read 1187 times)

Offline lilJsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:08:15 am »
I have just returned to work, and am struggling with a couple of things, just want to see if anyone else has similar situations and issues...? 
First of all, I am gone from my DS for a long, gut wrenching 10 hours.  In this time, my 14 week old usually eats 2 meals that I am not there to give him, so I pump at work.  The problem is, I am not getting enough milk by pumping.  I have a great, electric Medela pump, and a manual Avent Isis pump, I have actually tried both at work to see which gets more and the Medela seems to win but not by much...
Is there a way to up my production?  I am pumping 3 times at work, thinking that will increase demand on the breasts, which I understand is what increases supply, but to no avail.  I am drinking a lot of water, and I even have taken pics of DS in to look at to try to stimulate production and let down... Still am only getting enough milk for 1 of the two feeds.  Which brings me to my second issue... supplementing with formula.
During the day, one of his feeds gets supplimented by formula, but as I am already torn about having to be away from the little guy all day, I feel a bit 'wrong' about him eating formula. A bit guilty, like he is not getting all he needs from me, and also like I am not doing something right if I have to feed him formula at all.  I want him to remember me, and I want to provide for him even if I am not there, especially if I am not there, actually.  I have tried to give him a bottle of formula at night for DF, and then pump for the next day then ( I read somewhere that formula makes baby feel full longer, and was hoping it would also help him sleep through the night, but alas it made no difference) but could barely get an ounce of milk. 
Does anyone know what the issue is here, what can I do to fix this, and any words of wisdom on the supplementing? 
Thanks!

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Re: Returning to work and continue to bf...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:56:34 am »
I have a couple of comments that will help. I spent close to 12 hours apart from my kids...so I understand. I LOVE kellymom.com for my pumping mom forum. http://kellymom.com/smf/index.php?board=15.0  Of course I adore this forum also!! ;)
1) Most pumping moms will need to pump extra. My LO is 9 mo old and I pump three times for his three bottles. But I have been blessed this time with an excellent supply. Pump in the am before/after his feed, pump at work when he is receivign a bottle, pump before you go to bed...that can really help.
2) Pump 5 minutes after last drop of milk- you might get lucky and have a second let-down.
3) I prefer Medela pump
4) WATER, fenugreek, milk thistle- all increase supply. Nurse your baby when possible- evenings/weekends. Avoid bottles at all costs! Your supply needs him and he needs you!
5) Don't lay guilt on yourself...motherhood is hard enoough already! You are being the best mom you know how to and are doing a super job!
6) If you are up at night, pump (even if just 5 minutes)- you might get another 1-3 ounces.
Can't help with supplement, I didn't have to. But I struggled iwth my daughter for 3-4 months to get just enough every day- that was so stressful. This time the supply is better. But I currenlty am nursing my THIRD MASTITIS!!  :P
Jeni

Offline momofowen

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
  • Summer Lovin' in MA
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 23:33:23 pm »
Here is what I did when I went back to work (5 years ago now, but while I was there, my plan worked :) )

If you have the medela pump n style - they have a car attachment - not sure how private yo uare, but i had no problem with this -  my commute was 30 minutes.  I would nurse DS then get myself ready to leave, get in my car, hook up the pump and start it when I was about 10 minutes down the road.  I woudl pump for 10 minutes on the highway and got a few oz's out of it.  I woudl also drink mothers milk tea.  if yo uare inthe us any health store, or even aisle that has healthy stuff will have MOTHERS MILK TEA> drink it 3-4 times a day.  sooo works!  Also, to increase the thickness -  I know some of yo udo not agree ;) a pint of guiness once every 10 days really helps with the production of hind milk.  your milk will be so creamy yo uwant to taste it yourself!  (not tha tI did, butit looked like heavy cream!)

if you can time it so tha tyou pump the same times you would normally nurse, so 3 hours after morning feed- around lunch and right before heading home, or on the way home if yo upump in the car-  once on a schedule it helps.  Also, I would have our nany call me and have owen sry into the phone when he was hungry -  I know torture for your ears, but it helped with my letdown. 
**You can always go back to work, but you can never go back to having a baby**
Kristin
Owen Tyler 1/14/02
Olivia Paige 7/30/04
- Discovery Toys Sterling Consultant
*We care about ALL children!

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 11:56:30 am »
Here is what I did when I went back to work (5 years ago now, but while I was there, my plan worked :) )

If you have the medela pump n style - they have a car attachment - not sure how private yo uare, but i had no problem with this - my commute was 30 minutes. I would nurse DS then get myself ready to leave, get in my car, hook up the pump and start it when I was about 10 minutes down the road. I woudl pump for 10 minutes on the highway and got a few oz's out of it.

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 14:47:43 pm »
I've thought about driving and pumping. My drive is all highway. But the gate guard would get such a eyeful as I pass by!!
Jeni

Offline jaksmama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 20:34:03 pm »
Hi!   I've been back to work now since April...(my DS is 3 mos) and I've been going through a lot of what you are!  This is what helped me...WATER!WATER!WATER!  Lots of rest ::), and massage.  I know it sounds funny, but I got an extra 1-2 oz out of each side when I started to massage.  I was told to pump for 5 minutes, massage for 1-2 minutes, and repeat 2 more times.  So you end up with 15 minutes of pumping divided into 3 segments by massage. It really helped me.  Also, I've heard that if your away from your lo 8 hours you should pump at least 3 times during that time.  I also heard that a beer a day :o helps with the let-down reflex but I haven't tried that one. :-\ 
HTH
Beth

Offline lilJsmom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 01:41:29 am »
Thank you all for your ideas!  I do not have the car attachement for the pump, but will look into getting one because that is a GREAT idea!  I spend almost 2 hours of the day in the car commuting  and that would be such a great way to while away the time while sitting in traffic!  I will try the massage as well.  I drink a ton of water but still feel thirsty always, so will up the water intake at work for sure.  It is so difficult to be away from him each day, I at least want to know that he is getting fed the best food there is for him! Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions!

Offline VolleyballMama

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 02:40:51 am »
I am going to be returning to work soon, and I love these ideas. If anyone has anymore ideas - let me know. I am in traffic for about 45 minutes on the way to work - I might try pumping in the car I can only imagine the on lookers !
Amanda

**Alanna LeeAnn - 9/14/03**
**Jarett Omega - 4/10/06**

The love really IS multiplied!