Author Topic: I'm close to the edge. Please help!!  (Read 2450 times)

Offline AmberOctober

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: October 05, 2014, 21:36:40 pm »
I will try to make the story short.
Girl, 20 months. I stopped breasfeeding three days ago, if it matters.
Goes to bed in the evening ok, I lay with her, she crawls around a little bit, hugs her bear and me, then falls asleep. It takes around 20-30 minutes, I don't mind. Sleeps alone in her room all night long.

As for her nap... OMG.
I used to breastfeed her, laying with her all nap long. It would typically last from 40 minutes to 2 hours. Usually 1 hr 15 minutes. I would hug her, read, sleep with her, it was peaceful, so I did not mind.
Then, breastfeeding stopped calming her down. It started taking longer and longer to put her to sleep. She would kick me (ouch!), scratch me, you name it. So I decided that it was finally the end of my breastfeeding saga, the nap BF should go! (By then, I did not bfeed her in the evening.)
At first it was all ok. I mean, of course there were tears and refusal, but eventually she forgot about eating while sleeping. It was hard to put her down but I managed to do it within 30-40 minutes. She used to sleep for 40 minutes. Then she kind of learned to transition between phases and for a week or so she was sleeping for her usual 1 hr 15 minutes.
It has been over a month now... It got much worse. Now she only sleeps for 40 minutes and wakes up. I have to walk in, she then goes to sleep for 20-30 more minutes.
It takes me ABOUT TWO HOURS to put her for a nap. She is exhausted but she won't lay down. She jumps, runs, laughs, talks, throws pillows around. I tried laying with her, sitting with her, and then finally leaving the room.
If I leave, she screams her guts out the moment I get up. She screams so bad that she throws up. She get absolutely, insanely hysterical. When I walk back in (in a minute or so), she falls right asleep. The last three days it was the only way for me to put her to sleep. I feel horrible!!!
If I don't leave, she won't calm down on her own. Been there, done that. Two hours later (with breaks), I get to mad that I am afraid I will do something to her. I just can't stand doing it every day, every damn day, same story, no changes, I am exhausted!!! Today was so bad that I started hitting the wall next to her head screaming and crying at the same time. I am surprised the neighbors did not call the police. I am feeling as the worst mother in the world, a failure, just a failure.
She wakes up earlier and earlier every morning. Today it was 5.05 am. I try to put her to bed at 11 am (keep in mind that she only sleeps for an hour and I have to last her till evening somehow), she won't go down, two hours later she probably will. Her bedtime is 7 pm (asleep).

Honestly, I just want to abandon naps at all. I cannot stand this anymore.

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: I'm close to the edge. Please help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:39:48 am »
(((Hugs))) What is her usual routine before this started? I am kind of thinking ot if her nights are always shorter...would she nap in a stroller or car so you could get out and she could get some sleep? Mine never slept that way really though so I know it isn't always practical advice.
Heidi

Offline AmberOctober

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 14:07:22 pm »
Thank you for your reply.
She has never slept this way either :( Not even when she was a newborn.

She used to wake up at 6.15.-6.30
Breakfast, library playgroups...
Come home by 11.30, have lunch at 12
Nap 12.30-13.45
Snack and 30 minutes of Baby Einstein
Dinner 18.00, potty and bath
Bedtime 19.00

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 02:55:01 am »
There is usually a sleep regression and growth/developmental stuff around 18 months or so...that combined with her being broken of the prop of feeding to sleep might be the case. For developmental stuff it is usually a case of sticking with the routine and riding it out. Is there anyone else who could try putting her down for a nap just to give you a break? Could she at all be over stimulated from the morning activities?
Heidi

Offline AmberOctober

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 21:30:05 pm »
I ended up rocking her to sleep for the last three days  :-\ I just sit on the bed rocking her slightly from side to side, holding her arms and legs. Takes 5-10 minutes... then put her on the bed asleep.
Now bedtime became a nightmare  ;D Takes an hour for her to calm down.
Oh well. It's either one or the other  ;D

Offline AmberOctober

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 20:14:37 pm »
Just wanted to update. DD is 1 yr 10 mo old now and she has dropped her nap.
Wakes up between 4.40 - 5.40 am :o
Bedtime at 18.00
I have stopped trying about a week ago... Hope that these almost 2 years of constant feeling myself a complete failure as a mom (all because of her sleep issues) are over. I even gave up trying to move her schedule so she'd start waking up later in the morning. Nothing has ever worked with her. Maybe I just started too late (at 7 months). Maybe  I really am a failure :)

What really bugs me, still, is that she started waking up in the middle of the night. She has not done it since May. For the past three weeks she has been waking up and going out of bed. It always takes no less than 2 hours to put her back to sleep. Then she still wakes up at 5.30-6 am. So i just go there and sleep next to her, allowing her to do whatever she wants, as long as she is in bed.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 13:04:23 pm »
She really sounds ot. That is quite young to nap drop, I wonder if it is just developmental stuff going on and perhaps she does need a bit of nap to get through the day?

Oh and you are not a failure! When it comes down to it we as parents set the stage for sleep but it is totally only in the child's control to actually sleep.
Heidi

Offline AmberOctober

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 21:08:12 pm »
She really sounds ot. That is quite young to nap drop, I wonder if it is just developmental stuff going on and perhaps she does need a bit of nap to get through the day?

Oh and you are not a failure! When it comes down to it we as parents set the stage for sleep but it is totally only in the child's control to actually sleep.

Thank you. She indeed is overtired but won't go to bed. I don't know what else to do. My only guess is to put her crib together again and leave her there to CIO.
My husband has been gone for 2 weeks and will be gone for 2 more. I am so sick of dealing with this on my own, I just cannot do this anymore.

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 04:04:50 am »
Sorry I must have missed that she is in a bed now? Hmm my only child to go in a bed that early was a very structured kid and would not get out of bed unless told to. We don't condone CIO or CC methods on BW. I do get that things are super tough at the moment though...do you get any break from her at all? She is prime age for the 2 year molars as well which if they are bothering her cannot be helping the whole situation. What does her day look like now?
Heidi