Author Topic: Should 6MO still be asking for milk during night?  (Read 864 times)

Offline Eggimou

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Should 6MO still be asking for milk during night?
« on: December 13, 2012, 16:13:30 pm »
Hi everyone,
My DS gets about 5-6 feeds a day (DF around 1030pm) yet STILL is waking at 130 or 3am crying. I try to settle him but eventually feed him. He takes a full feed then right back to sleep. Are 6 MO not supposed to be able to last from DF to morning? Am I accidentally enforcing this wake by allowing a feed?

Offline ~inbalance~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 272
Re: Should 6MO still be asking for milk during night?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 16:17:58 pm »
I guess technically babies don't need to eat at night at this age, but for a BF baby (assuming you are BFing) it's normal to still have a NF. All my BF babies had/have NFs past 6mos. It does create a bit of a habit and often baby will keep waking if you keep feeding, so if you want the NF to go then you'll have to stop feeding. That said, many LOs are teething at this age and will wake often, and personally I like being able to comfort and BF them back to sleep so I usually wait until teething settles a bit before weaning NFs for good. I guess it depends on what your comfort level regarding NFs is.
Em
Mama to
Mr. Personality 2008
Mr. Mischievious 2010
Little Miss Blue Eyes 2012

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 16:46:15 pm »
Just to say we had a different experience with NFs past 6 months - DD woke at around 4am for a feed until 7 months or so. I did nothing at all to wean it - she just dropped it herself when she was ready :)

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 19:08:04 pm »
Plenty are.  While my dd1 dropped NFs around 3 months, dd2 wouldn't take the df and needed a nf until about a year, and ds needed his nf until about 11 months.  If he's really not resettling, I would just feed.  And FWIW, mine all dropped the feeds of their own accord when they were ready to.