Author Topic: sippy cups, types  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 854
sippy cups, types
« on: August 28, 2006, 18:15:47 pm »
I know people have posted a lot about sippys, but I can't seem to find something that answers my question. Maybe it would be better posted in growth and development, I don't know.

DS is on milk now (YAY!!), no more formula. BUT, he doesn't want to drink it out of a sippy. He's been using a sippy for something like 5 months now so he's proficient with it and all. Problem is, he doesn't seem to understand that if it's not totally full he needs to tip it up to get the liquid. He never held his own bottle, for the same reason. He CAN, but he would just hold it to his chest and suck at the nipple and then yell because nothing was coming out. We tried and tried to get him to understand the tipping concept but it never seemed to take root.  :-\ 

So.... does he not like milk from a sippy because it's too thick for the kind we use (Avent soft spout)? Is he just not ready to be done with a bottle? Should I get a different kind of sippy or a straw cup that doesn't need to be tipped? But if so, will it harm him in a developmental sense to not get that tipping concept?
Jessica
Mom to Colin Ronald, August 18, 2005
Spirited + Reflux =  :o

Offline Jenn©

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
Re: sippy cups, types
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 18:25:01 pm »
I think he will get it eventually.  DD suddenly figured out straws last weekend.  Now she has to figure out sip and not lose half of the milk.    ;)  You might try either a straw, or take the valve out of his cup and see if that helps. 
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 20:08:39 pm »
BUT, he doesn't want to drink it out of a sippy. He's been using a sippy for something like 5 months now so he's proficient with it and all.

Calum has the same issues, he takes water or juice NO problem from his sippy - but doesn;t really grasp he has to tilt his head back either, so I put the seat back on the high chair.

He will take milk from a straw cup no problem.....

My friends LO tips her head back for her sippy, I am not sure if she has seen someone doing it (her mum drinhs lots of bottles of juice and water) so she may have watched her.  I don't drink bottles of juice during the day, so Calum may not now to put his head back to get tho juice.  :-\ :-\ :-\
Lauren x

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 20:39:03 pm »
At least I'm  not alone! Thanks girls.  :-*
Jessica

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 00:33:52 am »
Ok, so I got a straw cup for DS... He totally loves it. He drinks far more out of this than the other kind. I did take the valves out of the soft spout Avent ones he already had, and he likes them better now, but seems to prefer the straw overall. I think the straw cup is 8 oz, and on a good day we can get him to drink two of them of cow's milk. Is that enough, or should he be getting more still??
Jessica

Offline *Natasha*

• Showing Appreciation 223
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 02:28:01 am »
Jessica that is fine 16ozs a day is what is recommended for this age. Catherine has 9ozs in the morning and 7ozs at night.

Natasha proud Mum to:

My big princess Catherine 7/8/05
My little princess Mirelle 17/10/07

Offline Jenn©

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 02:56:09 am »
Jess, where did you find it?  Dad gave us one of those that I love for travelling.  I'm having trouble finding another one.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Messa

• Showing Appreciation 111
  • Simply Gorgeous!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 05:01:25 am »
We use the Nuby both the regular sippy and the straw cup, it has the soft silicone spout.  DD loves the straw and is slowly getting the hang of tipping the regular sippy.
Melissa

Offline Lªuren

• Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2006, 08:36:58 am »
Jessica
that amount sounds perfect, that's great you have found something he will drink from.  ;)
Lauren x

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2006, 18:58:58 pm »
LOL, now that I posted that, yesterday he had maybe 2 oz the entire day!!  :o  But I think he's starting to teeth again so I'm chalking it up to that for now.

Jess, where did you find it?  Dad gave us one of those that I love for travelling.  I'm having trouble finding another one.

Jenn, I just got it at my regular grocery store. Of course I was down the baby aisle anyway and thought I'd see if they had any straw cups and there it was. I'm happy to pick some up for you and send them if you want, as long as you pay me back  ;)
Jessica

Offline Jenn©

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2006, 01:10:57 am »
Thanks Jess!!!!!  I happened to be at a different grocery store today.  Found one!!  And where there is one, there will be more.  We mostly use the take and toss ones and just reuse them.  The other is great to pop in the bag though. :-*

Offline Colin Macs Mom

• Queen B
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2006, 15:51:50 pm »
Glad you found one! The only thing I don't like about it is that the milk creeps up the straw and then when you aren't looking it's all over.  ::)  I found that if I take a sip first it doesn't do that.

Jessica