Author Topic: Need help please...don't know what to do  (Read 836 times)

Offline nitetimemommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 02, 2007, 02:38:25 am »
I have been trying to get my 14 month old to go to sleep on her own and stop her night waking...don't know if this more applies to night wakings or to toddler sleep?  I did pd about 3 weeks ago and it worked great...she was finally falling asleep on her own with me sitting in a chair when before I had to rock her or nurse her to sleep and she was finally sleeping more than 2 hours at a time...2 nights she even went 7 hours!!!  Then she got sick and everything went out the window..she has a clean bill of health now so 3 days ago tried to get back into the swing of things.  Now dd thinks this is a game and thinks its funny to sit or stand up to get her to lay down....shes getting up every 2 hours again.  I am doing the put down again where when she sits up or stands up I lay her down and tell her to go night night. Or else she will just lay there and play with her lovie but as soon as i leave the room or move she is up and crying.  Now she will do this for up to an hour or more and I get so frustrated I have to leave the room for a minute to cool down... I know that is bad but i don't know what else to do...sorry for the long rant.

One of my questions is that I was wondering is it better for my husband to go in the room when i get frustrated...we have tried this but she seems to just get more agitated...so should we do that or just leave her be and when i cool off (no more than a minute or 2) I go back in?

Next question...Should I do wi/wo or should i keep doing the pd...I'm afraid its just a game and that it is making it worse doing put down? 

I don't know what else to do and its getting so hard to be patient...I know shes just a baby and I conditioned her to be this way with a lot of accidental parenting but I'm getting to the point of utter exhaustion and loss of patience. :'(

Thank you ahead of time for listening to my long rant and hope to hear from someone soon ;D

Oh sorry this is how her day is
7 wake up
8 eat
10:30 nap
11:30 eat
2:00 nap(usually takes 1/2 and hour to 1 hour to fall asleep)
3-3:30 wake up and snack
6:00 supper
7:30 wind down go to bed falls asleep anywhere from an hour to 2 hours after this and then is up around every 2-3 hours throughout the night....going to cut out one nap as soon as i get her going to sleep properly or when she is not so tired and cranky in the morning. 

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Re: Need help please...don't know what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 03:56:47 am »
Unless she is crying/upset, I'd just be there in the room, just ignore her, if she is calm try to leave, but go back if she is upset.
If she isn't upset, don't do pd, just be there if she needs you there to relax... the idea of  independant sleep is to help them relax enough to go to sleep, it isn't to get them lying down, or stop playing, if she needs to roll around get up & down to relax, so be it... she will tire of it in a while & you will also be able to leave the room when she is ready.

I'm also thinking that if she is taking 1/2hour plus to fall asleep & is 14mo, she is ready to move to 1 nap... I'd cut the am back to 20-30mins max & move the pm to 1pm & see if that helps things
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline nitetimemommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Need help please...don't know what to do
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 04:22:54 am »
Thank you so much for your reply....will cut down on the naps tomorrow :)
Didn't think I was doing pd right and its great to hear that...I thought that they were supposed to stay lying down..Now that i won't do that it probably won't be a distraction to her...thanks again ;D