Author Topic: June/ July 05 Mom's Chat  (Read 122575 times)

Offline alison toms mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #525 on: November 29, 2005, 14:22:46 pm »
Tom goes into his own room this month hes been sleeping in ours until now, as this is recomended in UK to help prevent SIDS. I cant wait as i dont sleep well with him in there as im afraid to make any noise in the night (if i sneeze it often wakes him with a fright!!) Im worried that he wont settle in his room tho  :roll:  were pritty lucky as his night sleep is quite good ,we went through what you all seem to be going through when he was 3 months old, but DH hjas pritty much got him back on track :) . He still wakes in the night a couple of times (about 3 am and 5 am) but settles as soon as you put his dummy in. I guess im just thinking we should get rid of the dummy before he goes to his own room (its not a prob at moment as we can reach over without even having to get out of bed!!) :oops:

He doesnt wake when his dummy drops out, its more that it helps him get back to sleep... we have only just managed to sort his daytime naps out so am worried if we get rid of dummy unnecceserily this will screw that up (and i really cant face that AGAIN!!) especially as he has had a bad cold recently and seems to need all the comfort he can get!!

We probebly respond to his grumples too soon in the night anyway, he never gets to the stage of actually crying, just grumbles and dh gives him dummy! perhaps being in his own room will stop him waking in the night anyway (she says hopefully) as he may put himself back to sleep (i know he can do this) if we dont intervene before he crys!

Anyway I hope you are all OK and getting at least some sleep.... i cant give much help on solving the prob as we solved it giving DS the dummy before he fully woke and this broke him of the waking habit (he was waking 5 or 6 times a night at 3 months) however we now have the dummy problem as a result!! :roll:
Alison

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #526 on: November 29, 2005, 15:31:44 pm »
Ta Daaaaa!!! Luke slept all night!  He woke up at 5:15 am, whimpered for about 15 minutes and was out again until AFTER 7!  I left at 7:15 for work and he was still sleeping!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 33
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #527 on: November 29, 2005, 16:33:48 pm »
:oops:SORRY THIS IS REALLY LONG  :oops:

I really think the paci is a big problem too.  It seems like the nights that we tried not to give it to him he slept better.   We were getting on a really nice night time thing but then for some reason it all crumbled...and it was gradual.  I sympythize with you all.  We ha ve been dealing with the same issues for 3 months now.  I finally gave in to feeding him the 1st time he wakes up and he always takes a full meal.  Then one night he slept for 4.5 hours with out eating (before he turned 2 months he would eat at 8/8:30ish and then not again until 1:30 and then 4:30 and then up and eat at 7:30) so I know he can go for a long period with out eating.  So this is what our routine looks like.

7:30 Up
7:45 Eat (BF)
9:30 Nap (one hour)
11:00 Eat (BF)
12:30 Nap (30 min)
2:15 Eat (BF)
3:00 Nap (usually in swing for 1.5 hours, when I pray hard)
5:30 Eat (BF and cereal mixed with veggies)
7:30 Bath
8:00 Eat (BF)
Bed right after
11:30/12:00 (BF)
(Wakes about 2 times between)
4:00 (BF)
(Wakes about 2 times)

Some times his naps get turned around and his mid day nap is his long nap and then his afternoon nap is a 30 min.  It depends on what we are doing and where we are and what ever.  Some times his morning nap is only 30min if we are out and about too.

I really want to get rid of the paci for sleeping but I think he has started teething.  Also he has gotten into a "wake up in the early morning and look around and if I don't get my paci I want to play" routine.  But if I give him the paci he is up every 30 min after that until I feed him.  The big thing is that he is still rolling himself over at night and wakes himself up and needs help back over and resettling. I've tried the wedge and rolled up receiving blankets but he still gets over all that.  I think if he didn't do that he would only wake 2x instead of 5x.  He can roll back over when he's awake and has a toy he wants but other wise he won't.

Okay, if you've read this far then you will get a little bit of advice from my experience.  Take it or leave it. 
It seems that the majority of babies (90%) go through a stage where they take 30-45min naps and wake 5-6x a night.  If this is the case...then this must be the way God made them and we just need to go with the flow.  As soon as I accepted this I just followed Jency's cues.  This is the routine we got into and it works for US.  That is the key...do what works for YOU and your FAMILY, then you will all be happy.  The 2 hour morning nap just doesn't work for us, with church and mom goups and errands in the morning it just works better for him to take 2 shorter naps in the morning and mid day.  I would love for him to sleep for 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon though.  This we are working on and it seems that the only time he will is if he is in the swing.  My SIL said that my neice only tooke 30-60 min naps but now at 18 months she takes one 2-3 hour nap.  So they WILL grow out of this.  I have heard that sleeping is also a developemental thing and they just need to get to the milestone in their own time as well as everything else.  Jency has now gotten past the 30-45 min nap thing some times but not always and will go 60 min.
I hope this helps.

SORRY SO LONG! :oops:
~Adria, wife to Paul 9/7/02
Momma to Jency 6/30/05 & Tesher 12/31/08

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #528 on: November 29, 2005, 16:35:26 pm »
oh ya:  AMY!!  How did you do it!!  Please let us know!!!
Did you get rid of the paci?

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #529 on: November 29, 2005, 16:44:14 pm »
I DID get rid of the paci!  I had been thinking that the darn thing falling out was what was waking him up, but as it turns out, he wasn't all the way in his deep sleep cycle and the fact that it was IN his mouth was what was making him wake up (we think  :wink: ).  So, yesterday afternoon before his cat nap, he screamed bloody murder for 45 minutes.  I went in and did Pu/PD.  He'd calm down and then scream again, so I would do the PU/PD again.  This finally stopped after a while and he slept for an hour.  Then he got up, had veggies, a bottle, and a bath and was down for the night at 8:00.  He only fussed a tiny bit before bedtime.  The key is to NOT GIVE IN!!!!!  I do NOT believe in letting them Cry it out, but some tears were inevitable!  I just kept going in and letting him know that it was ok.
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Superman'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #530 on: November 29, 2005, 18:43:56 pm »
Congrats on dropping the paci!!! I wish I could say I had good news but it seems my lo is regressing still. He was going down easy for all naps and bedtime was a nightmare. He didn't sleep for 7 hours yesterday. Woke up from 2 nap and never wennt back to sleep. It took me an hour last nap and I ended up rocking him for a little bit because he would not stop screaming. Nonstop the whole hour. I rock him for 2 minutes and he passes out. I'm going to take that rocker and hide it so I can't give in.

Anyone else doing this? I think he is/was teething but he stopped fussing about it so I wasn't worried. I don't know.

I really don't want to start over. When does it get better?
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #531 on: November 29, 2005, 18:57:35 pm »
I think rocking is fine...especially when they're screaming their brains out!

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #532 on: November 29, 2005, 20:13:25 pm »
Claire!  Where are you?  We've been missing updates on your little ones!

Anybody have their kid in a door jumper yet?  I want to put Luke in his, but he can't sit up by himself yet.  Is that ok?

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline jswerczek

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #533 on: November 29, 2005, 21:12:36 pm »
Daisymelan- I sent you a private message!

Amystoker- We started using the dorr jumperoo when Jake could hold his head up good, about four months. I don't think they have to be sitting up yet. He only likes it for a little while, hasn't sat in it too long!
Jennifer

Mom to Jake born 6-16-05 and Julia born 8-29-07

Offline ~Jency's*Momma~

• ~Adria
  • BW Devotee
    • WAHM
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #534 on: November 29, 2005, 22:49:43 pm »
You can always ease him into it.
I started (because I like to, we didn't have to) rocking Jency for his quite time before naps.  I will give him the paci and rock him for how ever long it takes.  As soon as I feel him relax and start to drift I take out the paci then when his eyes first start to shut I walk into his bedroom draw the blinds turn on the humidifier kiss him and lay him down.  I usually get a little cry out of him as I lay him down but then as soon as he hits the mattress he is out.  (I haven't been doing this lately, he has just been falling asleep so much faster and he ends up falling asleep while I rock with the paci in :oops: .  I need to work on it.)  Anyway, you could try this and then every week put him down a little more awake (unless you like rocking him for awhile like I do).  At night I nurse him and then we go into his room and I hold him while I sing him some songs and then right before the last verse of the last song I lay him down and pat him while I sing the last verse.  Sometimes he is already mostly asleep other times after I'm done singing he has to toss and turn a while and then settles in and I pat him again for a minute. 
let me know if you try this and if it starts to work for ya.
Wish I had some advice on the night wakings and getting longer naps but all I know is to resort to the swing.

I was bad today.  Jency woke up around 7:30 and then was cranky at 9:00 (which is when we usually start the calm down rocking thing) but he was out by 9:15 (usually takes 30 min)  then he only slept until 10:00.  So I got him up and then we went out and he fell asleep at 11:30 in the car.  Then when we got home I left him there but he woke up at 11:50.  Then we played and went for a walk and he fell asleep on the way back at 1:45.  Then I wheeled him into my room and I laid down and kept waking up to check on him but he didn't wake up again until he got hungry at 3:00 (usually a 3 hour baby but this was 4 hours!)  So I fed him and then slipped the paci in and put him in the swing and he went right to sleep.  I made cookie dough and then went and took out his paci and he is still asleep at 3:45.  I know that was bad but I didn't want him waking up at 3:00 and then wanting to go back down at 5:00!  So I"m hoping he will sleep until 4:30.  I have to go out to night (first time) so he will be eating again at 5:30 (2.5 hours) because he doesn't take a bottle.  Oh well I have to be home by 8pm to feed him before bed anyway.  This past 2 days have been all screwed up!! :x

Offline daisymelan

• Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #535 on: November 29, 2005, 23:54:41 pm »
Congrats Amy!  Good for you.

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts.

Owen loves his Jumparoo!  He spends 20 minutes at a time in it.  LOVES IT!!!  WE've been doing it for about 2 weeks now.

Today has'nt been great, but ok.  Mentally i'm pretty tough right now, but i'm not sure how many more nights I'll hold out.  And we have 4 month needles tomorrow to boot.  sigh

See you in a few days BJ.

Alison:  Be tough, you can do it!!!

Question:  are mobiles, etc props?  And if they are, are they ok props?
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #536 on: November 29, 2005, 23:57:09 pm »
Luke LOVES the jumper!  What a riot!

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Superman'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 58
  • Hey Superman!
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #537 on: November 30, 2005, 03:13:11 am »
What is the weight limit on your jumpers? Aiden is 19-20 lbs  and 27 inch. I want to get him one or something like it but the ones I have seen have low weight limit.

I hate bedtime. His Daddy is home tonight(thank god) so he is trying to put him to sleep.  It has been one hour so far. Pray for us.

I have actually been rocking him prenap time. Just till he is drowsy. Otherwise he will fight and fight. Touchy and spirted as well. We need a support group.  At night rocking didn't work. He was, so long ago, eating till drowsy and I would lay him in his bed and he was out. Now until yesterday I would feed him rock him everything and he wouldn't calm down. Yesterday he would but he would scream as soon as I stop rocking.
Chelsea

Mom to SPIRITED Aiden
Born 7/10/2005

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #538 on: November 30, 2005, 03:43:02 am »
The weight limit on our jumper is 26lbs

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline alison toms mum

• Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
June/ July 05 Mom's Chat
« Reply #539 on: November 30, 2005, 15:38:16 pm »
Tom Loves his door jumper aswell. We dont let him have it more than 30 mins but hed happily stay in it all day if we let him!!! When hes not in it he spends most of his time jumping up and down on our laps! (i think i need to borrow some of his energy :wink: ). Ours doent't seem to have a weight limit (its toys r us own brand) and just says it can be used until hes walking (although i think ill stop when he can stand holding onto something other than me or DH!

Still using dummy when he fall asleep, but managed to calm him without popping it in  most of the time last night so thats a step in the right direction!

Amy... hope your lo is keeping up the good work!

Gotta go DS getting hungry now!!!
Alison