Author Topic: Please help! 17 mo cutting down bottles  (Read 1383 times)

Offline cecelia_at_home

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help! 17 mo cutting down bottles
« on: November 09, 2012, 17:21:58 pm »
My 17 mo old was having 4-5 9oz bottles a day and eating very little solids. After a check with a speech therapist to rule out any physical problems, she's suggested that we drastically reduce his formula. He's now having 5 oz at 7ish, another 5 oz after lunch/before nap, and then a 9 oz bottle at bedtime. We've been doing this for nearly 2 weeks and his eating has improved. But between 4-6 he becomes a total nightmare. Screaming for a bottle and won't accept water or regular milk in a bottle. He will eat some Cheerios or crackers, but it doesn't seem to statist him and he shouts for a bottle again after a bit. He gets very clingy and will tantrum if I put him down. It's totally doing my head in. DH works away from home so most of the time I'm on my own with him.
Since we've cut back on formula he is more tantrum prone and he pulls my hair when he gets upset. I keep thinking it will get better.
Has anyone btdt? Any advice?

Offline *Becky*

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 255
Re: Please help! 17 mo cutting down bottles
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:48:11 pm »
Hi there,
Is there a specific reason he still has formula? He should be fine on cows milk at this age.
I would say at this age he only needs a max of 2 milk feeds a day so maybe cut out the lunchtime one.
I would imagine he has just got used to drinking a lot of milk and he likes it so gradual weaning is the way to go and if it were me I would be just going for it and giving him a straw cup.
I did nanny for a little boy years ago and he was very much the same about his bottles i.e. he would scream for one and he was around 18 months/2 years. In the end the mum just got rid of the bottles.
At this age he should be getting most of his nutrition from solid food.

Henry James and Martha Rose - my spirited pair!