Author Topic: can they taste the difference?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline babykylesmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
can they taste the difference?
« on: April 01, 2007, 19:41:57 pm »
hi,

i have a LO who's about 4 months now, he has been comfortable taking a bottle since about week 3. he has only ever has breastmilk from me or by bottle, and i'm wondering if they can taste the difference and that he might refuse to drink formula if we try to give it to him. anybody have any experience with this?

thanks, kim
you are the eternal possibility.

em_here

Re: can they taste the difference?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 19:58:55 pm »
They can def taste the difference. My DD was breastfed and when we moved to formula she looked surprised as she was drinking it and it took a while for her to love it.  Saying this, I combined breast and formula with my DS (23 months now) and he didn't care as long as he was fed.  They are all different.  Try it and see what happens.    ;D

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 19:26:16 pm »
I agree with the PP - some lo's will refuse the formula and not drink it at all, they can definitely taste the difference.

If you do introduce formula to your lo and you find that he does refuse the formula you can always try mixing breast milk with formula and then reducing the breast milk as he gets used to the taste.

HTH's

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline babykylesmum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 07:50:51 am »
hey mamas, thanks for the info. i bit the bullet and just gave him the formula bottle and he took it - no problems. i think the curiosity was killing me, plus my milk supply seems to be diminishing despite constant pumping and fenugreek, etc. it's like it has a mind of its own and is going the wrong way. anyway, knowing that he'll take the formula if i need to supplement is a great relief.

all the best, kim
you are the eternal possibility.

em_here

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 11:37:19 am »
Thats great!  I pumped milk for a while and my milk supply diminished.  My Health Visitor says its because your body knows the difference between a cold hard pump and a warm snuggly baby.  Its so strange, but your body and your baby work in harmony I guess!  I went from getting 9 ozs of breastmilk at a time, to getting 1 or 2 ozs so I gave up in the end. x

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 19:32:17 pm »
Kim,

That is fantastic news.  Thanks for letting us know.

Keep us posted on how you get on.

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007