Author Topic: whats goin on?? HELP!!!  (Read 1016 times)

Offline amyloveshaun

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
whats goin on?? HELP!!!
« on: April 03, 2007, 11:05:11 am »
Hi every1

my little girl is 15 weeks old...im really puzzled as to what is goin on with her and wud be greatful of any advice...

she's neva been the biggest of eaters, but once in some sort of routine she was drinking around 5 botlles a day around every 3 hours with about 4 - 5 oz in each and was starting to sleep thru...however this only lasted a couple of weeks befor she started waking again for a feed in the nite but she was around 3 months old so i thought maybe it was a growth spurt.

However, she was really difficult for a week or so goin from taking up to 6oz at feeds to sometimes barely even 3 and it was a real fight to even get that down her. she'd spit the bottle and screamand scream and arch her back, but wud drink loads of water.

well that eventually seemed to settle but she was stil nite waking  (which im not really bothered bout cos she is waking to feed now rather than just to play lol!) but now she has gone from goin 3 hourly between feeds sometimes 3.5 to goin longer than 4 hours and seems to be drinkin even less despite goin longer!!! she's gone from 5 - 6oz to taking less than 4 sometimes to 5 at a push!!! and i mean a push i literally sit over the space of 2 hours trying to get her to drink it!

Does anyone have any ideas on what this mite b? or anything i can do to help?

Do use think it mite be time to wean cos to b honest it seems like she has gone off milk altogether??

she is already on aptimil stage 2 (for hungrier babes)

thanks in advance

luv amy xx

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: whats goin on?? HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 19:27:33 pm »
Hi Amy,

Welcome to the BW Boards.

Firstly I would not suggest weaning your lo at such a young age.  The recommended guidelines for weaning is 6 months, and at that age it is just tasters, and their milk is still the main source of nutrician until they are 1.

I think the problem may be a combination of a few things.  What size teat are you using on your bottles?  Do you think your lo may be bored with the flow and needs a faster flow teat?  Also I would also think that it is time to try at 3.5 hours between feeds and see if this makes a difference.

Is your lo showing any signs of teething at all?  It could be that she is starting to teeth and that sucking on the bottle could be hurting her gums.  If she is showing teething signs, you could always try rubbing some teething gel on her gums and see if this helps ease the discomfort.

HTH's

Paula
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline amyloveshaun

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 19:39:12 pm »
Hey thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome too  :)!

Currently using avent no2 teats have tried her with a no. 3 teat today and altho she did drink quicker it seemed she was splutterin a couple of times as if the milk was comin out too quick....

she is defo teething - has been chewin her hands, slaverin and in general discomfort for bout 7 weeks now - yet stil no sign of a tooth!! Argh! lol

thing is i think the lack of feeding is to do with her not sleepin as well thru the day too..she's literally power napping for 30 - 45mins waking up ratty as hell and nothing i can do wil resettle her! think im goin crazy...dont know who cried more today - me or her lol!

Amy xx

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 19:49:14 pm »
Hugs, I am sorry to hear that you are both going through such a rough time.

If you think that she can handle the bigger teat - it might be worth persevering with it - it can take a few days for them to get used to it.  Try feeding her a little more upright when in your arms to help her with the quicker flow.  At least this way she is getting a bigger feed.

With regards to the teething.  It can take absolutely ages.  My DS started teething at around the same age as your lo, and his first tooth only cut through when he was six months old.  The teeth start moving up into the gums and this can be very uncomfortable for them and this is why they refuse their feeds.  It will definitely be worth trying some teething gel to see if that helps soothe her gums.

With regards to the nap problems, it sounds like your lo is ready to start increasing her A time.  Are you following the EASY routine?  If you are, putting her on the 3.5 hour EASY will help her transition to a longer A time as well as longer time between her feeds.  With her staying up a bit longer, she will be that little bit more tired, and should help her sleep better.

Have you had a look at this link with regards to transitioning to a longer EASY?

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=63161.0

Hope this helps.

Paula

Offline amyloveshaun

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 20:14:24 pm »
ok thanks for that link, ive just had a read thru its really interesting...im all new to this baby whisperer easy techniques...my lo was pretty much following the 3hourly routine so from what i can gather from that article she's strugglin with the transition to the 3.5 easy...i dont think she's quite ready for the 4 hourly yet - i no she cant stay awake that long lol

thank u for ur help - hopefully i wil be successful on the BW techniques!

amy xx

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 20:16:14 pm »
I would definitely try to aim for the 3.5hour at this stage.  She may be a bit young for the 4 hour.  I would just watch her cues, and try to increase her A time by 10-15 minutes every few days until you have her on the 3.5 hour.  If you think that she can do it cold turkey without getting over tired, then you can just try to transition.