Author Topic: problems with solids.....HELP!!!  (Read 1182 times)

Offline momsquared

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: May 07, 2010, 18:37:55 pm »
just wanting to know if anyone else is having problems with their LO eating solids. I have 7 1/2 month old twins (corrected age of 5 1/2 months) who only want to eat cereal. I have tried introducing solids and that hasn't been going well. I finally got one boy eating while the other still does not want to eat it. I have noticed that since eating solids the one that doesn't want to eat it has been up all night since. Does this make a difference. I went back to just eating cereal and formula and he has slept through the night two nights in a row....
has this happened to anyone else.

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 123
Re: problems with solids.....HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 22:09:23 pm »
My Lo was not interested in solids until just after 7.5MO and he is a big boy so I though he woiuld be and started at 25weeks.
Maybe the food upset his tummy and kept him up in the night. Did you introduce it in the morning? Have you introduced one food at a time at least 3 days apart so you can see if one doesn't agree with him? Don't know much about Prems but maybe the digestive system is still catching up and not quite ready for too many solids?

Offline momsquared

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 22:15:49 pm »
yeah i introduced the new foods for lunch time. they have slowly been getting a little each day for several weeks but i think looking back now each time i have tried to increase what they were eating he wouldn't sleep well that night. the weird thing is that he never seemed to have problems thoughtout the day it just seemed to be at night (or at least he wouldn't keep sleeping) he loves the cereal though we didn't give him any before bed last night and that was the first time in a long time he pretty much slept through the night. my husband wants us to not feed cereal before bed but then i think that is just one more step backwards. they are almost 8 months...which for prems is really only 6 months

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 22:18:43 pm »
What cereals do you feed them? If rice or wheat maybe try an alternative like oatmeal or barley. It might agree with them more.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline Khalam's Mama

• Showing Appreciation 123
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 22:22:51 pm »
When he has more solids in the day does it affect his milk intake - milk is higher in calories than some solids so it might leave him hungry. What foods other than cereals are you giving? Fruit/veg? And what cereals? Any problem with the bowels?
Do you keep a log of what they eat and when and then of the sleeping so you might see a clear pattern that you can use to tweak the eating?

Offline momsquared

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 23:46:54 pm »
well i mostly give rice we have tried oatmeal because they seemed to be constipated with the rice but they don't seem to like it as well so i switched back.
thus far we have tried peas, carrots, beef, turkey, chicken, they don't seem to like anything. only in this past week  or so have they seemed to eat anything but that has been when the really bad nights have been. i haven't tried fruit yet as i was told they won't eat veggies if you introduce fruit first. so i wanted to wait till they were eating some veggies. i haven't cut down on the formula yet as they are only eating a few bits of food (like 3-4 mouthfulls)
i haven't keep a log yet but since i am going to try introducing foods again that will be a great idea thanks... i still have them drinking every 3 hours during the day 6oz each feed.

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Showing Appreciation 224
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 02:19:05 am »
Try sweet potato or squash - still veggies, but a sweeter taste so they might be more willing to accept it!  Also, many of the flavours that you've offered are quite strong.  Have you tried mixing a teaspoon or so of new puree into their cereal?  That will make the flavour a bit milder and they might be more willing to accept it. 

Also, my ds outright rejected meats (beef, turkey, chicken) by themselves.  The texture and taste were not good :P  But when I mixed them with sweet potato he was ok with them, so it might be worth a shot :)
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!

Offline Love, laughter, & PJs

• Showing Appreciation 152
  • Formerly kmk512
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 02:37:42 am »
Adjusted they are still quite young.  My DS took quite a while to warm up to solids and wasn't eating a decent amount on a regular basis until around 8 months old.  I would keep offering as PP said (and also mixing in with cereal as Vikki suggested)  but I wouldn't worry too much if it takes them a while to get going with it.  ;)
*Kate*