Author Topic: not sure of amounts for babe  (Read 800 times)

Offline pinzer78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
not sure of amounts for babe
« on: May 19, 2010, 01:24:56 am »
My little guy will be 8 mo soon. I introduced solids at 6 mo and have slowly increased as he showed more interest.  He can really eat quite a bit but wasn't sure if a baby can just eat and eat even if full b/c they just like to eat...kinda like the most of us  :P  He'll eat quite a mound of food, when I get up to take away the empty bowl he'll get upset...but...his tummy is so small...i dont want him getting a tummy ache!  I do not know exact amounts to be honest, but he's just been eating cereal, fruits and veggies. Do I just keep feeding him until I see some signs he's not really interested anymore?  Im totally new at all of this!!!  :O

Offline ~ Vik ~

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 224
Re: not sure of amounts for babe
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 02:23:43 am »
Up until age one, milk (either breast milk or formula) should be their main source of nutrition - it has all the calories, fat and nutrients they need.  Solids are really more for fun and learning than nutrition at this point :) 

Do you do milk feeds before solids?  As long as you do your milk about an hour or so before solids, you should be safe to let him eat while he's eager.  An hour after milk he will be hungry enough to show interest in solids but it's far enough away from his next milk feed that he will be interested in that too.  Does that make sense?  Just keep an eye on his milk intake to make sure it doesn't noticeably decrease and you should be just fine!
D ~ dairy, egg, peanut/nut and mustard allergies
Proud to have breastfed for over 24 months!