Author Topic: laid back 6 day old  (Read 766 times)

Offline kirbyland10

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 20, 2013, 17:26:01 pm »
ok i have a laid back baby or not very hungry one (breastfed)
the routine from 6 last night

6:30pm - sleep
midnight - feed
00:15am - sleep
2:30am - feed
3am - sleep
9am - feed
11am - feed
1pm - feed
5pm - bath
5:20 - feed

has anyone else had a laid back child like this? might put her in the moses basket in our bedroom tonight when Noah goes to bed see how she is and then when the office cleared might consider putting her in her cot this weekend as she is doing well at the moment

should i consider waking her up for feeds??? i know you should leave a sleeping baby
Noah - 17th Feb 2012
Lily - 14th Dec 2013

Offline MasynSpencerElliotte

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 249
Re: laid back 6 day old
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 18:34:41 pm »
I only leave a sleeping baby if they are ot or ill...otherwise I wake to suit the routine we may have at the time (not precise timings, but within 15 min or so). I would say long term if you want to keep things predictable to establish a bedtime and wake time now if she is super easy...that way any routine issues might be easier to deal with (has been the case for us anyways - have done 7:30/8 pm bed time and 7:30/8 am wake for quite some time now). Overnight I let her wake to feed but daytime I woke her.
Heidi

Offline Buttonbobs

• Showing Appreciation 124
  • E - born 20/10/11
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 16:02:26 pm »
I agree, but would add the following, I was told to wake my E at night to feed her when she was tiny as she wasn't gaining weight and was jaundiced. She was almost "too tired to feed" if you see what I mean. But if your LO is gaining nicely then I'd just enjoy the sleepy baby and try and establish a good daytime pattern to help sustain the good nights.

How're you doing now?
~ Naomi ~

Offline jessmum46

• Showing Appreciation 411
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 17:55:36 pm »
Personally given you're breastfeeding I would at this be waking LO to feed after a max of 4-5h at night.  You are still in the very early stages of establishing your supply and the stimulation at night is really crucial.  I totally agree with others that once weight gain and breastfeeding are well established then I would only wake to feed in the daytime, but I think probably on balance you're a bit too early for that yet.  I agree with Naomi that some newborns can be too sleepy to feed properly and for a short time it often needs to be a case of 'mummy knows best'.

Enjoy your newborn and congratulations!

Offline kirbyland10

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 20:34:34 pm »
thats the thing she has gained 2ozs last thursday so she's doing very well
Noah - 17th Feb 2012
Lily - 14th Dec 2013

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 20:39:47 pm »
My LO was like that too in the beginning - she had a nice 6 hr stretch right away during the night.  If she isn't gaining and your milk supply is suffering then I would wake her at night otherwise make sure she is getting enough during the day- glad you are getting some sleep! 

**Tracy**

Offline Violet's mom

• Showing Appreciation 26
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 20:41:51 pm »
Wow just noticed you have 2 long stretches.  I would pick one and wake in the middle of the other one (say 9:30pm)...

**Tracy**