Author Topic: 10 Week Old - How Many Naps and How Long???  (Read 9981 times)

Offline andreamette

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 Week Old - How Many Naps and How Long???
« on: May 01, 2006, 17:18:42 pm »
Hey ladies!

I'm new here...  Basically getting to my witts end with Owen's naps and sleep habits.  Something has gotta change - ack!

I'm sure I'll be back with many more questions, but how many naps should he be taking at his age and how long should they be?

I already read the Q&A with Tracy Hogg and I'm going to start trying the "pat and shhh-ing".  Is there any way to time it so he gets the naps at the same time everyday?

-Andrea

Offline Southernbelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 20
  • Mom to three beautiful kids!
Re: 10 Week Old - How Many Naps and How Long???
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 02:17:19 am »
Hi.  I believe that it should be three naps (with the possibility of a short catnap early evening).  There is another thread with sleeping times, maybe under general sleep issues.  You could get the naps at about the same times by having the first morning feed at the same time each morning.  My Lo is 10 weeks old and is taking three naps with a 30 min catnap at 5pm or 6pm.  If I start her morning at 7:00am every morning, the naps end up being at 8:20-10:00/11:20-1:00/2:20-4:00.  The catnap would be at about 5:00 with a 6:30 or 7:00 bedtime.  This is on a 3 hour easy.  I would recommend a sound machine or some kind of white noise in the room since you are trying to get some naps scheduled. It helps to calm the baby, give them a naptime cue and blocks out noise in the house or neighborhood that might interfere with the process.  The nap times will change when you move to 4 hour EASY and get rid of the catnap.  Just be sure not to keep him up too long.  It will take a few days to figure out how much activity time he needs before wind down and bedtime.  Let us know how it goes!
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline UNCMomma

• Showing Appreciation 65
  • Love my girls!!
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 19:51:45 pm »
? for Gray & Ella's mommy... it looks like your LO is awake about 1 hour and 20 min.  Do you put her down at this time or is this when she falls asleep?  I struggle with awake/activity time, my 11 week old DD is not good at giving me sleepy cues.  She can be happy happy happy and then 2 seconds later, showing signs of overtired.  No yawns or anything!  I'm thinking her magic time is about 1 hour, she seems to fall asleep easiest if I put her in the bed after 1 hour, and she generally takes about 20 min to fall asleep.  So I'm just wondering if you soothe at 1 hr 20 min or is she asleep at 1 hr 20 min.  Sorry to ramble...

Amanda

Offline Southernbelle

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 14:42:09 pm »
UNC mom, I was putting her down to sleep after one hour, but then I started to think that she wasn't really tired enough and it was causing fussiness going down and short naps.  Now I put her in the crib at about the hour and a quarter time and then she is usually asleep by th 20-25 past.  Sometimes if she is too tired she has to have a mantra cry which lasts exactly 7 mins (too funny).  It took a lot of tinkering to find the right activity time limit.  My Lo is spirited/touchy and she is not good if you miss her window.  Even worse if you miss a whole nap....we pay the rest of the day.  You probably want to tinker with her time a little and maybe you can get her going to sleep a little faster.  If she doesn't fuss for that 20 mins trying to go to sleep than you might be right, butif she fusses for 20 mins she may need more awake time.  I wouldn't go less than an hour at her age.  Someone else on here told me that at this age they needed about 1.25 hr awake.  It worked like a charm and some naps now she doesn't even get too mad at the 45 minute marker.  Alos, sometimes my LO's sleep que is the first little whine.  With a two year old, I can't sit around watching for every yawn, but if I move quickly after a little wimper, I can catch it in time.  Hope this helps!
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 17:53:04 pm »
It DOES help, thank you so much.  I will try to keep her awake a little longer.  She was 2 weeks early and jaundice in the beginning and I guess I got used to super-short awake times.  Also, I think sometimes I mistake overstimulation for tiredness... My baby is pretty laid-back until my 3 year old gets in her face and then she often loses it if she's the least bit on edge.  :)    I'lll listen for the whimper, I was making myself crazy watching for yawns! 

Thanks, Amanda

Offline Southernbelle

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 14:00:45 pm »
That is too funny...my daughter was born exactly at 38 weeks and was really jaundice.  We had to bring home a bili bed for her to be on for three days after we got home.  It was so hard not to be able to hold and cuddle with her.  When she finally got off the bed we held her for weeks....then had to teach her to go to sleep in a bed.  She was also miserable with excessive bacteria (treated with antibiotics) and bad reflux.  It is so nice to have her in a routine now...even though she is quite touchy and can't handle a missed nap or the car.  If she is on her nap routine...she is the happiest baby on the block.  Good luck with stretching out the A time!
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 15:02:07 pm »
You HAVE had a time with her!  I'm so glad for you that she is straightened out and on a routine, I'm sure your life is MUCH easier! (Even though you really can't go anywhere trying to save her routine-I know the feeling!!)  :)  Best of luck to you! 

Amanda

Offline Southernbelle

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 23:48:49 pm »
UNC mom, when is your Lo's birthday.  My Ella Clare's is February 21st.  Ours must be close together!
5 yrs, 3 yrs, 7 months

Offline UNCMomma

• Love my girls!!
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 13:08:37 pm »
Kinley was born Feb 11!  Her due date was the 26th, so she surprised me a little!  My first DD was born only 2 days before her due date so I was expecting Kinley a little later but it worked out fine!  :)  So our LO's are only 10 days apart, neat!  Hope things are going well for you!

Amanda