Author Topic: 4 Week old first child and new to E.A.S.Y - Please Help...  (Read 1099 times)

Offline twiggy2013

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 Week old first child and new to E.A.S.Y - Please Help...
« on: March 22, 2013, 19:03:01 pm »
Hi There All,

I saw the baby whisperer on tv one day and didn't know what it was until a friend recommended with my newborn. I've started the routine today, first problem I've encountered is that she was having her 'catnap' at 5pm so woke her about 6pm for cluster feed, bathed and put in sleeping bag to bed..Whole thing was an experience as she was screaming the whole time, 1) Being woken up 2) After being in bath and changed again...thanks Mum!

She's now in bed for first time and i'm sat with monitor so worried as my first time leaving her alone. Any tips, am I doing the right thing? I was going to re-use milk from 1st cluster as she hasn't drank all of it and has some medicine in for her reflux.

Thanks All

xx

Offline Osiris0802

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: 4 Week old first child and new to E.A.S.Y - Please Help...
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 19:07:11 pm »
If she stayed in her crib and felt asleep by herself that is already a success. I am also a FTM to a handsome 9 week old baby boy and it takes me a good 40-50 minutes to put him down with the pat-sshh method ( I have a spirited baby) be very happy she stayed and went to sleep by herself!

Offline twiggy2013

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 19:49:06 pm »
Ahh thanks! Well worrying thing is I have to wake her now for second cluster feed so we'll see if she will go to sleep again! I take it you have to wake them for these cluster feeds, it's obviously the only way?

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 22:31:49 pm »
Welcome :)

Are you BFing or using formula? I don't think you can reuse formula as bacteria grows in it ince contaminated by saliva but pumped breast milk can be kept a little longer even after LO has drunk from the bottle. It might be that there is a limit on the meds too.

She is still so tiny so I wouldn't try to fit her into an actual schedule right now, especially if she has reflux. The most important thing is the order of EAS to avoid feeding to sleep. That and offering regular naps and an appropriate BT.

Have a look at these links for some more info and let us know if you have any more questions. Starting EASY - all you need to know and more!
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011

Offline twiggy2013

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 09:57:36 am »
I'm using formula...We tried E.A.S.Y for the first time last night....

She normally sleeps 9pm, wakes 3am and wakes again 7am for feeds...However I followed E.A.S.Y and she went to bed after bath etc at 7pm, woke at 12pm for food then again at 2am with wind and 7am so seems to be waking/feeding more on this EASY route...Does it get better, should I still stick with it??

She is on retaline for reflux and were giving it a week but seems a little better.

xx

Offline creations

• Feeding Solid Food & EASY
  • Showing Appreciation 496
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:33:33 am »
Hi there.
Just wanted to stop by with some hugs and support. I start EASY when my DS was around 4 - 5 wks old.  I agree with Ali with regards to not trying to make her fit into a fixed schedule. The routines in the BW books are guidance, BWing allows for LOs individual needs whilst at the same time not encouraging feeding to sleep and snacking etc, promoting a good sleep habit.
I didn't put DS in his own room, SIDS guides suggest having LO sleep where you, I know Tracy said to start them in their cot in their own room, but you don't have to follow absolutely everything to the letter (and I believe Tracy would have edited had she been able to, with the more recent information regarding SIDs etc).  I put DS to sleep in a travel cot in the living room for naps and the first part of his night sleep, then fed and took up to bed when I went to bed. (at 10wks he refused to sleep in teh living room any more, being an independent sleeper already he chose that he would only sleep in his proper 'bed' upstairs - so I used a monitor then).
Personally I would continue with your 9pm BT for now, she is so young and has already settled into quite a good routine there. I believe 9pm to 3am is classes as STTN :) so that's great!  At that age mine was going to bed (in the travel cot) at around 7pm, fed again at 10pm and moved up to bed, then STTN to about 5am. At the 5am feed it was touch and go if he'd go back to sleep.
I also didn't wake to feed him, but he naturally clustered a little in the evenings anyway.
Like Ali said, encouraging EAS so they don't feed to sleep is the key thing.

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 20:56:34 pm »
I'd stick with it. She got 12hrs of sleep on the night of the new routine and only waking twice (especially if one was just for wind) is fantastic at this age.

What is the daytime routine you are doing typically?
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011