Author Topic: New here with LOTS of questions, but first, let me ask...  (Read 750 times)

Offline JodiGras

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
New here with LOTS of questions, but first, let me ask...
« on: April 11, 2006, 03:44:47 am »
Should I buy the book first?  My DD is almost 7 months and is (by Dr. Sears' definition) a high needs baby.  She seems completely able to self-soothe so, needless to say, sleep does not come easy.

I honestly don't know that much about this kind of technique, but I've looked into so many and none really seem the right fit for us (total CIO doesn't really work for DD and I don't want to cosleep, etc.).

Before getting into detailed questions, I was just wondering if any of you recommend that I start this technique at this late age?  It kind of seems maybe it's for newborns?

Thanks!

Jodi

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Re: New here with LOTS of questions, but first, let me ask...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:49:03 am »
First let me say welcome.  I'm not sure what you are asking about trying as far as techniques.  If you are talking about Baby Whisperer techniques for sleep such as Pick up/ Put Down, it is never too late to start.  If you are interested in that, I would buy the book to get familiar with it before trying.  Also, the Pu/PD board here is fantastic for info and support.  Also, just to clarify, you say your LO CAN or Cannot self soothe?  If she can self soothe, well that is half the battle, you just have to find the right routine that works for you.  If she cannot, that is when you would need to imploy techniques such as PU/PD in order to teach her to fall asleep independently.

Offline Mia & Scarlett's Mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Me and my girls (on a tidy day!)
Re: New here with LOTS of questions, but first, let me ask...
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 09:43:44 am »
Hi Jodi and welcome

Yes I would say buy both books and have a good read.  The first (Secrets of the bw) covers the basic and the 2nd (bw solves all your problems) gets down to the nitty gritty.  They are both very 'easy' reads and with the 2nd one especially you can skim through quite easily so's you can find what you're looking for.

You will find it much easier understanding what we are all chattering on about if you've got a greater understanding of the techniques.  And really the bw method is a commonsense one, babies aren't left to figure anything out they are taught skills to sleep by us until they can achive independant sleep and are never, ever abandoned to CIO.

In the meantime have a look at the top of the sleep boards and you will find snippets from the books that'll give you more of an idea what PUPD, W2S, Ssh/pat etc is all about.  Here's a few links to get your started

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=451.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=57333.0

https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=51926.0

HTH

Louise -  Mom to Mia Alison born 19.08.05 
Our beautiful english rose and textbook/spirited baby.
New Mom to lovely Scarlett Grace - textbook/touchy