Author Topic: 1 year old & suddenly a really fussy eater  (Read 8017 times)

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 192
1 year old & suddenly a really fussy eater
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:31:52 pm »
 :(   :'(

Things were going pretty darn well on the eating front. DS loved his food, would happily eat most of the time. Rarely needed me to mix his fruit in with his main to get it to go down. We were having fantastic successes with lentils, butternut squash risottos, stews, rice and pasta dishes. Everything that he loved he now refuses UNLESS it's got fruit mixed in.

And then I started doing more and more finger food as part of the transition to getting him to feed himself. He is doing fantastically at that: clementines, grapes, bits of banana, kiwi and apple, cubes of cheese, chunks of homemade chicken nuggets, bread. And I've started offering him a spoon to feed himself - he's not interested in anything other than playing with it.

But now he won't eat much if I feed him either. He has a screaming fit (real tears  :'() and refuses to open his mouth. If food goes in, he spits it straight back out. After a while, if I manage to coax something into him (without resorting to mixing it with dessert), he looks like he's eating (gets praise) then suddenly it all comes out again. More than a mouthful.  :-\

So, he'll eat with his fingers but really struggle to get enough into him this way, especially veggies and dairy (other than cubes of cheese) and any carby heavy stuff like pasta, rice, spuds - he just won't touch it that way. He won't try to feed himself with a spoon. He won't take food from me on a spoon without a fight and even then, he eats very very little.  So far, for 4 days now, the only way I can get him to eat his main meal and keep it down is to mix it in with his fruit / dessert. He watches me carefully to make sure that I don't sneak in just main meal on a spoon...grrrrrr.  And I'm not really comfortable continuuing this for long.

Any ideas anyone?  ???  What did I do wrong?!  :'(  I've been hoping it's just a phase and a way to exert some control of his own on his environment... but I thought feeding himself would be the real deal for him.  ???

TIA

Charlotte (feeling like a right old misery pants  :'()

Offline Mashi

• Showing Appreciation 408
Re: 1 year old & suddenly a really fussy eater
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:57:03 pm »
You may not like this idea, buuuuuuuuuuutttttt.... I'll suggest it anyway!  Can you just mixhis fruit in like he wants? /he will eat, taking the stress and frustration off of you, for starters.  Just every day, mix a drop less in until he is back to eating without the fruit.  I don't think it will be a lasting habit, just a short-lived phase ... ???

Offline mini me

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • British Mummy living in Greece now back in UK!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 13:04:36 pm »
I posted not long ago about food being spat out and refused and generally annoying me!! For us, the holding the food in her mouth has almost gone and she lets me spoon stuff in again most of the time (one meal is spoonfed, the rest is finger food) and you know what the problem was? Those bloomin teeth!! It coincided with her exploring and controling food held in her mouth. She was teething her first lot of molars and it seems she wouldn't let any food pass over them! (EXCEPT FINGER FOOD! go figure!!) It was a real pain as she was cutting these nasty molars for over 6weeks (final one came thru completely about 10days ago) and now she's back to normal ... she'd never done this with her food before and now her canine teeth are slightly swollen in her gums, we have had two food holding and spitting out today and yesterday. I hope this is all it is for you... it will pass til the next lot of worries!! ;)
Andi

Offline A pair of Charlies

• Showing Appreciation 192
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 14:11:10 pm »
MOLARS????? Already?!  :o

That does make a bit of sense... he has 8 teeth already (the last broke through 2 weeks ago) but I have noticed that he's chewing on things (thumbs, spouts on cups) really far back. Took a look and the space for the next teeth (incisors?) looks normal, but just on from that looks red, swollen and feels hard under the gum. Doesn't feel like teeth, IYKWIM, but feels hard to the touch.

So that could be it. Molars. It is like he won't chew food things, just finger food.

I'll let it go for now then, keep mixing in fruit. Just don't want him to get into the habit and only eat when we do that. He's a determined wiley one and APs in the past have taken ages to put right.

I wonder if the fruit cools or soothes in some way (usually cool fruit, warm food)... or that he just doesn't have to do much with it. Hmmmmmmm. Might try to give loads of finger foods too. He actually chose to eat tiny florets of purple brocolli the other day rather than eat pasta off a spoon.  ::) Never thought that would ever ever ever happen. He cringed each time he ate it too.

Offline Mimi 2

• Showing Appreciation 167
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 17:56:56 pm »
Sounds like molars.  DS was (and currently) like this everytime he's teething (which is almost non stop since Christmas.  Somedays he will eat lots and others hardly anything.  I found that just by offering and having food available eases my mind a bit about him getting some sort of nutrition other than milk.  In the meantime you could offer smoothie.  Blend in some fruits, yogurt or milk or add whatever he likes and offer it to him.  Or you could try soup.  This sounds silly but there was a time when dd's molars were hurting so bad, she would eat soup through a straw. 

PS.  I'm moving this over to Toddler Eating.  :)
Cherishing the moments with the
Ballerina Princess (Oct '04) & Wiggly Monkey (Jul '07)