Author Topic: Dream Feed Questions  (Read 1934 times)

Offline rudojen

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
Dream Feed Questions
« on: August 27, 2006, 15:53:01 pm »
My 4 week old is doing really well so far with the EASY plan.  We are being really flexible at this point to follow his hunger/sleep cues, but overall he is liking the routine.  A couple of nights he has slept for a 5 hour stretch and I want him to keep this up so I think we need to institute a dream feed, if it's not too early.  Here are my questions: is 4 weeks too early for a dream feed?  And do you wake the baby for the dream feed? 

Any advice anyone might have would be appreciated!  :D

Offline LŠuren

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 206
  • yummy!!
Re: Dream Feed Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 15:55:28 pm »
Hi

Its never too early to start a DF, here is the FAQ on Dreamfeeding here https://babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=54662.0

Good Luck  ;)
Lauren x

Offline rudojen

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 15:01:30 pm »
The past few nights have gone well with the df.  As I read more about it on the message boards I wonder, should the baby sleep 5-6 hours AFTER the df?  Or 5-6 hours from original bedtime to next wake-up time (he hasn't been waking at all for the df).  My LO seems to get up about 3-4 hours after the df, which would be 5-6 hours after original bedtime. 

Should I try to tank up more in the hours before bedtime?

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 06:59:38 am »
rudojen
Can you post your routine please and give me the amount for formula for each feed.
Lauren x

Offline rudojen

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 23:22:29 pm »
Sorry it's taken me a few days...

We're still not on an exact schedule, eg. every day is a bit different.  I've left out Activity on purpose - we always do some kind of activity after eating including a bath every evening:

7-7:30am wake up and E (4 oz)
8:45am-10am S
10:15am E (2.5 oz)
12pm-1pm S
1:15pm E (3 oz)
2-2:30pm S
3pm E (3 oz)
4pm-5pm S
5pm E (2 oz)
7pm E (3 oz)
8:30pm-1am S / 10p DF (3 oz)
1:30am E (4 oz)
2am-6am S.
7am E (4 oz)

This is an actual schedule from last week, he has been eating a bit more at his feedings this week - almost always 3-4 oz, occasionally he takes 4.5 oz.  Because it takes him awhile to wind down for a nap (it can take up to and over an hour to get him down for his naps - he's not fussy about it, just very active.), he sometimes takes 4 naps, although sometimes it's only 3.  He sleeps a total of 14-14.5 hours in a 24 hour period.

Now yesterday and last night, for example, he was up at 7:30am and had 2 very short naps and 1 long nap (2.5 hours).  He went down around 8:30 and I did an 11pm dreamfeed.  He woke at 1am, 4am and 6am to eat.  After I fed him at 11pm, he had 27.5 oz of formula in the previous 24 hrs. 

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 00:29:43 am »
i'm not an expert on feeding so i'll let someone else help you with that but i think your lo is up too long for one stretch. 

he's about 5 weeks?  he should only be up about 45 minutes at a time. this includes eating, diaper change, playing and winddown.  he should be swaddled in his crib by the 45 minute mark. being overtired, which he'll be if he's up for over an hour at a time, means he'll wake up early from naps and take a long time to settle down for naps and bedtime.  i'd also move his bedtime up to about 7. 

i believe at his age, he should sleep closer to 16 or so hours a day. 
i hope this helps at least with his sleeping.  i'll let the experts help you with the feeding. ;D
melissa

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2006, 15:14:34 pm »
Hi there how are you getting on?

Its been well over a week since you first posted, so if you have done the DF every night you should be seeing a difference.  Has there been a difference in night sleeping/feeds before and after implementing the DF?

In answer to your question from before....  I would say 5-6hr from the DF not sleep time, however your LO is still very young it is normal to carry through the 3hr eating cycke through the night.

If 8.30pm is the bedtime for your LO, have you considered feeding at the following times instead?  8.30pm is a late bedtime for a LO this young.

7-7:30am wake up and E (4 oz)
8:45am-10am S
10:15am E (2.5 oz)
12pm-1pm S
1:15pm E (3 oz)
2-2:30pm S
4pm E (3 oz) or 1530
4pm-5pm S
6pm E (2 oz) or 1730
8pm E (3 oz) or 1930
8:30pm-1am S / 10p DF (3 oz)
1:30am E (4 oz)
2am-6am S.
7am E (4 oz)

I agree with Melissa about the long A times, this will make your LO overtired and not sleep well at night.

Do you know what temprament your LO is? Are you following sleep cues or clock watching? Do you struggle to get your LO down for naps? Do you ever experience short naps i.e. 30 - 45mins?

Lauren
Lauren x

Offline rudojen

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2006, 21:02:55 pm »
Lauren & Melissa - Thanks for your posts!

We've been continuing with the dreamfeed and Quinn is still waking 2-3 hours after the DF (between 1-2am).  We've got a big baby - he's in the 90th %ile for weight (11lb 2oz at 4 weeks old) and he has always been extremely alert.  This is our first baby, but I have never seen a baby who is as interactive and alert at 4-5 weeks old!  Since I posted last, he's been eating a bit more at some feedings, sometimes up to 5oz with little to no spitting up.

As far as his schedule goes, I try to follow his cues to a certain extent, but if it's been over 3-3.5 hours since he's eaten (during the day) I feed him without any cues.  He usually eats then, but not as much as if I wait for his cues.  I follow his sleeping cues exclusively.  Because of the reasons stated above (big baby, very alert, eating a lot) I figure that staying up for longer stretches during the day is probably ok, although I will take your advice if you still think it's too long.  He just doesn't start yawning or getting fussy for at least 90 minutes after waking. 

We do struggle a bit with getting him to sleep, although it's getting better.  He fights his swaddle (even though without it he would never get to sleep...) and wakes himself back up after dozing off.  Once he's out he generally sleeps pretty well.  Lately he's been sleeping for an hour or longer at each stretch, up to 2 hours. 

I think part of my issue is that each day is so different.  Do you suggest being more of a clockwatcher vs. following his cues? 

Offline LŠuren

• yummy!!
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 05:29:00 am »
no definitely follow his cues, make sure you do a good wind down - short naps can be a sign of overtireness or your A time needs tweaked.

there are loads of posts over the sleep boards, if you post your short naps issue there - they can help.
Lauren x

Offline rudojen

• Showing Appreciation 0
  • I like to eat!
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 13:50:50 pm »
Last night was beautiful!  After a rough weekend (we were visiting my parents so the schedule was way out of whack), he was very tired.  Went down a bit after 7pm.  Did DF at 10:30pm and he slept til 2.  Well he woke around 1, but put himself back to sleep.  Then back to sleep til almost 5.

Thanks again for all your help - this site is a Godsend!

Jen

Offline Missy Lou

• Showing Appreciation 138
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 00:28:15 am »
i'm happy to hear that jen. 
please keep us posted.
melissa

Offline LŠuren