Author Topic: Not taking a dreamfeed  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Molsmum

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: September 11, 2006, 16:45:18 pm »
have been trying to implement EASY for a while now (bit hit and miss due to holidays back to UK) and Molly is now a much happier little lady.  Her naps are still erratic but she usually goes to sleep at 7.30pm and wakes between 2 and 3am for a feed and goes back to sleep until between 7 and 7.30am.  There are times when she will go 8 - 9 hours during the night before waking up so I hoped the dreamfeed would see her through until the morning.  However, she only takes about 80ml and then refuses any more and wakes up at about 4 - 5am.  This has a knock on for her first bottle of the morning.  I don't want to wake her up to feed her but her gums remain firmly clamped shut!  She is on 4 hour EASY and has her last bottle at 7pm so I thought she might be hungry.
Does anyone have any ideas for encouraging my LO to drink her dreamfeed allowing mum a much needed night's sleep.
Thank you

Offline * Paula *

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 426
Re: Not taking a dreamfeed
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 18:54:37 pm »
Molsmum,

How old is your DD?

How many oz is she taking in each bottle?

Can you post your routine for us to have a look at?
Thomas Michael - 12 July 2005
Abigail Louise - 23 October 2007

Offline Molsmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 19:11:38 pm »
Sorry should have thought of that before.  Molly is 4 months old and usually takes between 5 and 7oz at each feed, sometimes less.  I thought this wasn't enough but health visitor assured me she was fine and is gaining weight well.
Her routine is a bit hit and miss as she doesn't 'do' naps too well.  Thsi is a very rough guide and is a good day.

7 - 7.30 am - Wakes and bottle
Awake until about 8.45
S:  Anywhere between 50 minutes and 90 minutes (often 70 minutes and can't get back to sleep)

11.00 am - Bottle
Awake until 12.45 ish
S: Usually a little longer between 60 mins and 90 minutes

3pm - Bottle
Awake until 4.30 ish.
S: Short nap usually in buggy

6.30pm Begin bedtime routine including bathtime
7pm Bottle and then bed

She usually drinks more of the last two bottles and then wakes up for a feed anywhere between 2 and 5am.  Feed at night is usually between 4 and 5oz. Have tried dreamfeed at 10.30pm.

Any suggestions would be great thank you

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 19:19:13 pm »
What size teats are you using - your lo could be bored with the flow -hence the reason of her taking less in some feeds.  You may find that this may help and encourage your lo to take more oz during the day.

Not all lo's adapt to the DF - My DS never took a DF - Have you tried cluster feeding?

Offline Molsmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 19:29:03 pm »
Using level 2 teats so the flow is OK I think.  She does seem to get bored with eating and tends to take almost an hour to drink her fill!  I haven't tried cluster feeding but will have a go.  Thanks

Offline * Paula *

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 19:39:57 pm »
You may find changing to size 3 will help a lot.  An hour seems like a very long time.  It is worth giving it a try.

Let us know how you get on.  Good Luck.