Author Topic: 8 month LO only sttn on a sat night! Please help me work this out??  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Mrsb3

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Hello ladies!

My daughter is 8 month in 2 days and still wakes up every 3 hours during the night for a feed except on a sataday night!

I've got her in to a good routine through the week day and she naps at 9.30 and 2.30 for about 1-1.5 hours at s time.

When it comes to the weekend my husband takes sataday off to take us all out somewhere in the car ( I don't drive) we are out all day and 70% is spent travelling to destinations - she sleeps a lot in the car but gas awake times too since I can hear her playing with her toys.

When we get home she has tea an hour or 2 later than week day and bath bed is slightly later then she sleeps until 6.30am!!

What's going on?

Offline Kellyjs

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
Re: 8 month LO only sttn on a sat night! Please help me work this out??
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 12:46:58 pm »
How much is she eating during the day milk wise hun? Do you think she's genuinely hungry or do you feel it's becoming a prop?

I'm thinking a routine tweak might be in order if she has less sleep on Saturdays and manages to sleep through the night. How long is her ONS atm on a normal day? Around this age LO's can manage an 11hr night with those naps rather than 12 x

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:36:20 am »
Through the week she seems to eat all the time, snacking mainly because of teething I think. I don't feed her to sleep though/ I always make sure she's drowsy or awake when she goes down.. She fusses but I just do sush pat on her cot for s few seconds.

On a Saturday she only feeds 3 times and has a big solid meal at 6pm that fills her up im guessing.

I think the car sooths her so she disent need to nurse for comfort.

As a housewife with with 3 kidos (2 under 2)
I just can't be out of the house all day like I do on Saturdays- I call it my day off! :-) there's just an ongoing lot of laundry and preparing food! But what else can I do to comfort her at home in our noisy mad house???

I'm not sure what ons times mean?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:47:41 am by Mrsb3 »

Offline Kellyjs

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 13:10:55 pm »
Sorry hun ONS is over night sleep.

I wouldn't think the solid food would be the cause of her STTN tbh. Milk has a far higher calorie content than solid food.

I would try and concentrate on putting her down awake at this age rather than drowsy. I'm thinking a bump in A times might be in order too. Would you mind posting your average day including EAS times for me? It's just easier to see!

So looking like:

Wu
E
A
S 9.30
 Etc etc with NW's and NF's too.

Thanks!

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 20:34:26 pm »
Thank you,

She sleeps 10 through the night.

If she goes to bed at 6.30 she will wake up at 4.30 am
So I try to put her down at 7.30 so she gets up at 5.30 instead.

Last Saturday we had homemade lasagne for tea, she eats what we eat now I just use reduced salt oxo cubes and don't add any salt when cooking. I'm certain her portion that she eat had more calories that my milk although I could be wrong? I know the baby food jars are low in calorie but she dosent have them anymore.

On a typical day..
Wu 5.30
E 8.30
S9.30

Wu11
E11
E12.30 solids
E1.30nurse
S2.30

Wu4
E4.15 solids
E5.30nurse
Bath time routine starts at 6
E6.30 Finnish off nursing from before bath
S 7.30

Wu 12.15
Wu3.15

Offline Mrsb3

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 08:50:18 am »
Sorry the last 2 wake ups are NW's

Also I have thought about putting her down awake but was going to wait until 10 month. I did that with my son at 10 month
And it worked really well at that age. I think it's because at 10 month plus the crying is less baby like' and they can pull them selfs up to see your sti there etc.. At this age she will be crying very loudly with her eyes closed rolling around her cot bumping in to the bars. In no expert though that's why I'm here lol

Offline *Ali*

• Breast Feeding & Pregnancy/Childbirth
  • Forum Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 373
  • Caught in the act!
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:01 am »
I suspect she gets used to nursing all day during the week. what about carrying her in a wrap to soothe her while you get other stuff done?  Or offer solid snacks like veg sticks to entertain her.

Why don't you try giving dinner later during the week if you think that works.  3 BFs a day is very low for an 8mo so i wouldn't do that all week but perhaps try to reduce it down to 4 or 5 if you feel she is snacking?

Do you think she sleeps more or less on a Saturday?  I'm thinking she either crashes through getting less restorative sleep or that she is OT the rest of the week and catches up on Saturday so can sleep more peacefully.
Cadan Dec 2009 and Colby Aug 2011