Author Topic: Early waking ..would love some advice...  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Lola

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
Early waking ..would love some advice...
« on: March 30, 2006, 14:21:30 pm »
Hi there...I'm a newbie desperately seeking some help. I have a almost 7 mo old Angel/Textbook baby who has sleeping habits like her mom. She is not a deep sleeper! We lost EASY when i went back to work and Madelaine comes with mama! She is very adaptable but over the last ew weeks she has been waking up earlier. SHe now wakes at 6am. Sort of schedule is: wake 6:45am-feed (now won't eat first thing)-dressed for work!-nap around 9-9:30am-wake 10:30-eat 11-11:30- sleep 12-12:30- adn so on...she is awake for about 1.5-2 hours now at a time and sleeps anywhere from 45 min to 1.5 hours. She is never that cranky and hardly cries. She goes to bed on her own around 7:00 and plays/coos till she falls asleep. Does not wake up during the night since weaning on Mar 2nd. Recently though she has been waking up at 5:45-6:00am. Does not cry, just wiggles and talks! I've tried p/u-p/d and doesn't work. I've tried wake-to-sleep, doesn't work. Any suggestions for adding back that 1/2 hour 45 min? I wonder if it is because it is getting brighter outside now...??? HELP please :)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 15:35:59 pm by Lola »
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline murpheroni

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Re: Early waking ..would love some advice...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 17:38:33 pm »
Is it possible she isn't tired and is ready to be awake for the day?  If her naps are good and she goes to sleep and stays asleep easily, maybe it isn't a problem that she wakes up early (unless of course she wakes you up!).  My baby is about the same age and has been doing the same thing lately.  As long as he is cooing and happy, I'm going to let it go.  I thought I might be able to get him to sleep a bit longer this weekend, though, since we are moving ahead one hour due to Daylight Savings.  Just a thought...

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 20:13:30 pm »
First thing I noticed is that she's only up 1.5-2 hours. Actually at 7 months your lo is probably pushing 3 hours of "A" time, maybe a little more. That should extend naps somewhat during the day, 2 naps of about 1.5 hours each, if you feel that she needs it.

As for early wake-ups, It's ok to just let her talk :) You don't have to go to her until she really needs you. Sometimes they just fall back to sleep on their own. If you let her go, she may adjust her schedule on her own and start sleeping a little longer. Mine often does the same thing, and she'll happily play in her crib until we go get her.

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 20:22:53 pm »
Agree with Sonya here. Plus, 7am-6am is AWESOME! Many babies at this age only get about 11 hours of night sleep so that's totally normal.

A times are definitely short. We are 7.5 (almost 8) months and do 2.75-3 hours A time in morning, 3-3.25 in afternoon and 3.25-3.5 before bed. We have dropped the catnap for the most part - only have one on days when we are really thrown off.

And like Sonya said, if she's just playing and talking to herself, leave her to it - you don't have to get her up until 6:30 if you don't want as long as she's not upset!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Lola

• Showing Appreciation 44
  • Missy M's Mama
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 17:36:09 pm »
Thanks for the info. I have tried keeping her awake longer than about 2 hours but then she gets really overtired and cranky and sleeps even less. I feel like i'm caught in a catch-22! I just put her down for a nap now (12:30) and she woke up at 10:30. She's already asleep! I'm getting used to her early waking- IM trying to adapt LOL. (I can't sleep if I hear her but I never rescue her bc she is playing). Any ideas on how to extend her wake time? Just a note, she comes to work with me so she is very busy when she is awake. She is in her saucer for about 45 min to an hour and then rolling all over the floor for the rest of the time. She is a very busy little one!
I just don't want a cranky baby (it's hard when i'm at work LOL) and she gets overtired very easily. Other than that, she's an Angel.
Thanks
Laura
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker" border="0" width="400" height="80

Offline Aarismom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 13
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 21:17:37 pm »
Sounds like she might be a bit touchy too. To extend "A" time, I would do it slowly...maybe 15 mins or so every few days. Distraction works best...maybe a snack or something might give some extra energy?

*HUGS*
Sonya =P

Texbook/Angel LO
April 26, 2005