Author Topic: 13.5 months and awake at night..  (Read 967 times)

Offline Intransit

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 31
« on: July 09, 2006, 17:37:51 pm »
My son is 13.5 months old, and the last 2 nights have been horrible!
His routine is as follows: wake 7-730 cereal and fruit--bottle one hour later. Activity till 12, lunch of solids and then for a nap till about 3pm. Wake..have a snack.w some milk....play till 5..dinner...play bath bottle bed. Bed time is usually around 730-8pm and he sleeps, as I said for about 12 hours.
Recently he has been teething, and I have given him some motrin to ease the pain at night...but he is not waking cranky, he is more wide awake, and just wont settle back down.
Any ideas?
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.

Offline imsmum

• Showing Appreciation 36
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 14:07:22 pm »
I gave my dd Motrin and she was up for 4 hours.  I can only give tylenol (not even tylenol cold) b/c everything else seems to cause my dd to crash at first and then she is wide awake a few hours later.  My dd just started doing this recently--I could give her this stuff before.  My dh told me he was the same when he was a kid.

Offline Florencia

• Showing Appreciation 75
  • Playin' hide n' seek
Re: 13.5 months and awake at night..
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 18:29:33 pm »
Molar pain at that age is the WORST sleep buster ever. And it can be in disguise to top it off!!!! Ped explained me that sometimes teething aids (like motrin) can wind kiddos up (because of the ibuprofen, its active substance, in some bodies is like a booster... ::)). Sometimes the waking is due to pain "in disguise" because of the meds. That is, the meds help the pain not to be awful, but don't "kill" it so there's still discomfort that prevents them for deep sleep, hence waking at the slightest sound, change in temperature, phases of the moon... you name it.

Sometimes a combo of meds (that is, tylenol+motrin), an upper dosage or the help of homeophatic remedies seem to do the trick. Everything has to be approved and prescribed by the ped, so check it out with him/her first.

I just wanted to let you know that your routine/schedules look perfect to me and i would say that the wakings are due to teething, so they should be over once the molars are out... which can take a good extra month, so be sure to check with your ped how to attack the pain meantime.

Good luck!
Mom to Manolo, spirited monkey and Jose Miguel, an angel cupcake

Offline Intransit

• Showing Appreciation 31
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 16:51:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies ladies...was just a 2 night thing. My husband was away during those nights..and ususally goes into him when and IF he wakes up. He usually goes right back to sleep for him..apparently not for me!
*Sarah*
Neve treat others as you yourself would not like to be treated.