Author Topic: WHEN TO ALLOW 7MTH OLD TO TRY AND SELF FEED  (Read 1657 times)

Offline CONSTER

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
WHEN TO ALLOW 7MTH OLD TO TRY AND SELF FEED
« on: January 24, 2006, 18:08:36 pm »
My son Carter is 7mths and I'm wondering whether I should be letting him try and self feed.  A couple of times I've held his cereal for him to play with and I give him a spoon to play with but all he does with the spoon is try to shove is WAY to far in his mouth.  He likes playing with his food with his fingers but it never seems to find his mouth and I find it just makes this huge mess.  Maybe I'm just a neat freak but would appreciate the advise.  Also he doesn't turn his head hopefully he's getting enough I give him about 6 baby spoons of cereal and 2 teaspoons of fruit in the morning and lunch, dinner cereal is replaced by veggies.  Thanks Connie

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Re: WHEN TO ALLOW 7MTH OLD TO TRY AND SELF FEED
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 03:04:54 am »
At 10.5 months here Katie definitely cannot do anything with a spoon, but she can use those fingers!  I think I started around 8 months giving her things like cheerios, toast, cheese, soft fruits and veggies - I know some people do it even earlier.  I think the spoon feeding is still a long ways off, though I do let Katie try every now and then (not that we get anywhere with that).  As for amount, as long as he's gaining weight ok and doing well with his milk feeds, I would just follow his lead with the solids.  If he's acting like he wants more try giving it to him and see how he does, otherwise, he's fine.

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 03:14:20 am »
The more you let them play the more they learn about food... I actually often give my ds a spare spoon at meal times. Also I keep giving him food until he stops wanting it, sometimes he clamps his mouth others he turns his head, others he just whinges. giving finger food (& you eating a finger food snack - like a cracker at the same time) is a great way to encourage them to self feed... it is like most things, they all pick it up eventually & each baby is different, but they learn best by seeing you do it :)
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 11:17:05 am »
My MIL is a health visitor and is always nagging me to give DS the bowl and spoon to play with after I have had fed him as she say it will increase his motor skills. I usually give hima clean one  ;) DS knows now what a spoon is for but I dowt that he will actually master it properly for months. I am a bit anal when it come to things being clean so I had to force myself to giveDS finger foods Ilike too give him 'clean' things like cheerios and sultanas, they dont seem to make as much mess as a bannana can! He only really got how to get things in his mouth bwt 2weeks ago so I think you should keep up the good work. It sounds like he is eating the right amount too.

HTH
Nome
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06