Author Topic: question about shush-pat  (Read 668 times)

Offline chris2times

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: March 15, 2015, 13:23:08 pm »
Hi all

I tried to search the forum for info, but always get an error telling me I'm not allowed to search...

I have a question about the shush-pat part of the four-S technique. I'm paraphrasing here, but basically the book says to pat on the centre of his back rhythmically (not the sides, not as low as the kidneys) until he calms down and then put him down and continue to pat until he's in deep sleep.

Now, every nurse, midwife, and doctor who has spoken to us since his birth (2 weeks ago) has stressed the fact that babies should be put to sleep on their backs (because there's some statistical correlation between tummy sleeping and SIDS). How am I supposed to do the patting with him lying on his back??

Putting him to sleep on his tummy would actually be the solution to all our problems, because like that, I know he'll sleep like a rock without stirring for at least 2 hours. But according to all the advice (and more importantly, my wife) I'm not allowed to do that. So what now?

Best regards,
Chris

Offline Haribo2012

• Toddler Sleep
  • Forum Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 75
Re: question about shush-pat
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 16:23:08 pm »
Hi, yes it is recommended that LO sleeps on back, you can adapt shush pat so that you pat on shoulder at front and thigh.
I used to shush pat up on my shoulder until very sleepy then put down and pat lightly on shoulder and thought at same time whilst DS was laid on his back.
2 weeks is still quite young so lots of cuddling whilst doing it is fine I think.

Zoe