Author Topic: how long to keep a NF with a baby who's slow to gain weight?  (Read 716 times)

Offline okinawamama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • Stephanie
how long to keep a NF with a baby who's slow to gain weight?
« on: February 09, 2012, 21:42:04 pm »
We have a million and one night issues...as always ::) and I'd like to get things figured out. I am planning on starting another NW thread, but wanted to ask this quick question first.

My  son is 9.5months, has reflux (medicated with prilosec) but has always struggled to gain weight. He started life in the 80th percentile, and we continue to drop at almost every well baby checkup (which is their main concern. The fact that he doesn't weigh a ton isn't as big of a concern to them as the fact that he drops a growth curve every single visit....at some point he should be picking a growth curve and sticking to it) He's now in the 7th percentile for weight and 10th for height. The docs have always "watched"  his weight gain (or lack there of) but they are now sending me to a pediatric gastroenterologist to have his reflux looked at and to see if they thing his lack of weight gain can be attributed to that.

So....would lack of weight gain affect when you weaned NF's. My docs have encouraged me to get as many calories in him each day, so I breastfeed on demand and have kept at least 1NF. He currently wakes at least twice, and I try and just stick to one NF, but part of me wonders if some of our night issues would sort out if I weaned the NF. I of course question weaning those calories though because at each doc visit he just continues to drop growth curves  :-\

p.s he is on three solid meals a day and usually has a snack in there somewhere. Like I said, I feed on demand, and try and fit as many BF sessions into our day (of course, as long as he's interested).
toddler A 3/16/2009
baby B 4/20/2011

Offline Bex09

• Showing Appreciation 69
  • My world xx
Re: how long to keep a NF with a baby who's slow to gain weight?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 20:19:04 pm »
Hi hun and hugs, I have no experience of this and seeing as you haven't had any others with BTDT experience I am going to see if I can get some more eyes on this for you. Hang in there!

Offline C&B&E

• Showing Appreciation 34
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 20:22:37 pm »
just a thought - have you tried taking fenugreek so that you have more milk easily available at each feed? I found that has really helped DD to feed better - not that I had a 'low' milk supply, but I think it boosted it which has helped her to take more throughout the day

x
Claire x

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 20:48:46 pm »
Stephanie, it's probably not what you want to hear, but I would probably keep feeding at night.  Does he settle after you feed him?  Do you DF?  (Sorry, can't remember...)  Honestly, we still df here and have the occasional night with a nf as well -- losing a consistent nf has been a really recent development.  Many bf babies continue to need NFs up until towards a year -- maybe at least hold on until after the GI doc rules other things out?